Allow students to add/star groups to group menu

(9)

Some of our programs allow students access to past course enrollments because they keep building off of that knowledge. However, the group list becomes very cumbersome and confusing, especially if instructors use a generic "Group 1" label. It would be great if students could add groups to the groups menu similar to how courses can be added to the course menu by selecting the star. 

19 Comments
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks for making this excellent suggestion,  @sspeer ‌. In particular your comment about generic group names is a good one. I find myself including the course name in the group title solely so students can distinguish groups one from another. 

tsvoboda
Community Explorer

Yes!  I appreciate the intent of the group list to only have current courses, but it includes current courses AND all those that students have access to after the course ends.  Even if the Groups list for students had the course code listed in front of any group name, that would be really helpful.  I know we can tell faculty to add their course number to the front of any group description, but it would be nice if that were just automated on the student group list.

dvanallen
Community Novice

With old courses, I can unstar them to remove them from view of the courses short list menu. If you remove the star on the courses page listing, then the course will not appear on the courses menu. Instead, you would need to click on the courses menu item option "all courses" and find the course nested below that option.

With old groups I do not see similar functionally. I have a ton of groups with generally vague names. How do I hide all inactive/old groups from the groups left navigation menu and leave just the one for my current course?

Instead, all groups appear on the left navigation from all courses past and present appear in alphabetical order by group name. There is no logical connection to the course shown. That's left for the user to figure out on their own...

Why not just put stars to the left of the group name like you already have for the course name on the all courses page?

maria_nilsson_3
Community Novice

Great idea! It is possible to add/star groups in the Student app for Android. This is very helpful and would definitely be helpful even in the web interface.

hoffmannk22
Community Novice

I have way too many groups visible to me and get really confused about which ones are current and which ones are from old courses. I wish I was able to hide groups, remove them from my home page, or delete them altogether. Even just an option like 'only show groups from starred courses' would be great. 

Community Novice

I want to be able to rearrange or sort groups (by latest activity / course name?), or even remove groups that I'm not active in anymore. 

jjr27
Community Member

This is a really excellent idea - the functionality for groups should mirror that of classes and allow students to "star" the groups they'd like to see on their shorter menu list. 

Terri_Armstrong
Community Novice

YES! This would be amazing to be able to 'star' groups and bring them to the dashboard/group list view. I have 12 groups and only 4 are for this semester. many are generic and it is VERY confusing. My professors don't  close classes so we can access information from previous classes as references.  Please Please Please VOTE FOR THIS!

RK3
Community Novice

I'd appreciate if you disselect no longer relevant groups in the left panel, just as you may do with courses.

jennincs
Community Member

Hi! 

There needs to be a way for students to be able to hide old groups from previous semesters on Canvas. I read through the suggestions, and Canvas is supposed to do it automatically via an update. But since that is not happening and my old groups still show up. I am not the only student observing this, this needs to be a change so that students can have control to hide old groups just like you can hide previous courses.  It shouldn't be hard to do, my canvas looks cluttered because of it. 

jennincs
Community Member

@Stef_retired  I understand you merged the conversation, could you please explain why? The problem has not been resolved from the student side. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jennincs  As we explain in How do idea conversations work in the Canvas Commu... - Canvas Community , we frequently merge a new idea into an open conversation when the new idea's problem statement aligns with the existing one, as was the case here.

bresnic6
Community Member

My home page is full of all my past groups. Each of my classes had multiple group projects so the page is really cluttered. As a student, I can’t edit this. I’ve asked teachers to do it for me and they can’t. Let students edit their own groups page because it’s so cluttered that I can’t find current groups. 

Avantika_Sen
Community Member

There should be an option to manually hide the groups that we no longer require. Currently this option is only available for Courses not Groups. It is difficult to look out for current groups amidst all other previous groups, especially since most of them have the same names. 

HeatherBiswas
Community Novice

I agree, I wish this feature was available. Just as you can star a course under "all courses" you should be able to star the only groups you want to see for the semester under "all groups."

marthevanderlaa
Community Member

I am a student and on the website you cannot hide groups, so all my old groups are still visible. 

LinaJuhn
Community Member

Please allow students to remove old Groups from the Dashboard.  I have so many groups now I can't keep track of which ones are the ones for my current classes.

Thank you!

Lina

Mbeckler1
Community Novice

Wow it has been 2 years. This could really use a fix I have like 15 groups and many of them are named the same thing! Please give us this feature it will make canvas much more usable.

Thanks

Matt

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.