cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow students to add/star groups to group menu

Allow students to add/star groups to group menu

Some of our programs allow students access to past course enrollments because they keep building off of that knowledge. However, the group list becomes very cumbersome and confusing, especially if instructors use a generic "Group 1" label. It would be great if students could add groups to the groups menu similar to how courses can be added to the course menu by selecting the star. 

(1)
6 Comments
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thanks for making this excellent suggestion, sspeer@uwlax.edu‌. In particular your comment about generic group names is a good one. I find myself including the course name in the group title solely so students can distinguish groups one from another. 

Surveyor

Yes!  I appreciate the intent of the group list to only have current courses, but it includes current courses AND all those that students have access to after the course ends.  Even if the Groups list for students had the course code listed in front of any group name, that would be really helpful.  I know we can tell faculty to add their course number to the front of any group description, but it would be nice if that were just automated on the student group list.

Community Member

With old courses, I can unstar them to remove them from view of the courses short list menu. If you remove the star on the courses page listing, then the course will not appear on the courses menu. Instead, you would need to click on the courses menu item option "all courses" and find the course nested below that option.

With old groups I do not see similar functionally. I have a ton of groups with generally vague names. How do I hide all inactive/old groups from the groups left navigation menu and leave just the one for my current course?

Instead, all groups appear on the left navigation from all courses past and present appear in alphabetical order by group name. There is no logical connection to the course shown. That's left for the user to figure out on their own...

Why not just put stars to the left of the group name like you already have for the course name on the all courses page?

Community Member

Great idea! It is possible to add/star groups in the Student app for Android. This is very helpful and would definitely be helpful even in the web interface.

Surveyor

I have way too many groups visible to me and get really confused about which ones are current and which ones are from old courses. I wish I was able to hide groups, remove them from my home page, or delete them altogether. Even just an option like 'only show groups from starred courses' would be great. 

Surveyor

I want to be able to rearrange or sort groups (by latest activity / course name?), or even remove groups that I'm not active in anymore.