Allow students to email 'All Teachers'

(3)
Canvas Conversations currently does not allow students to email 'All Teachers'. Instead, students must click on the name of each teacher they want to include in their message. This may work well in a classroom with one teacher, but there are many courses where there may be multiple professors and/or TAs whom students might need to contact. The process of finding and clicking all of the individual names can become very tedious. Additionally, at the collegiate level, there are often learning designers who help to provide technical support during the first semesters of an online course offering. Having an option for students to email 'all teachers' would allow others with administrative rights in a course (including learning designers) to monitor student emails and be able to better serve students' technical needs in a timely fashion.
9 Comments
jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works! Smiley Wink

p_smith
Community Member

But only if one can disable that as well. We usually don't want students emailing all the instructors (20+) in a course.

lse224
Community Champion

This sounds like a great option for team-taught courses. I often had students email another instructor and assuming we all shared information. This way we'd all have a record.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

182487_pastedImage_6.pngWe appreciate you, and the submission of your idea. Your dialogue helps our product teams prioritize feature development. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially, yes. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. Feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and influence product direction.

jhendricks1
Community Novice

I was about to write a request for this very topic. How do I resubmit this for voting?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is one of the lucky ones that was selected to get a little more time for voting as part of our evolution of the feature idea process. It was selected because of it's vote count and/or comment thread.

*Selection criteria: Most (not all) ideas that received 70+ votes in their initial voting round.

aed
Community Novice

In the Help Menu Link, I would like to have 'Ask my Teaching Team a Question" and have that email the Teachers, TAs and Course Admins."  Our instructors are worried about being the only person on the team to be asked a question so we have needed to remove the link from our help menu.

aaron_bahmer
Community Contributor

I'm also interested in students being able to message all teachers across all courses within the term. Consider a college student wanting to notify all her instructors that she is ill and will not be in class. Having a way to send a single message to all of them (pick "All teachers this term") without having to pick them from each of the courses (pick course, pick teacher) would make life much easier.

Yes, I agree that institutional admin should have the ability to allow this behavior or not.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.