[New Quizzes] Allow students to exceed time limit on quizzes and tests

I use timed quizzes and tests in my classes. I noticed that the quizzes autosubmit as soon as the time runs out, even if the student isn't done. However, I'd rather allow them to finish even if it's beyond the time limit, and then I can take points off of their quiz/test as I see fit. Is there a way to turn off the autosubmit function? I looked in the moderation features and quiz/test settings and could not find a solution. I used to be able to do this in Blackboard, and I am frustrated that it is not an available function in Canvas.

Added to Theme

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@mlehnerd  Do you have the availability and due dates on the quiz set to the same time and date? Students' in-progress quiz attempts are only automatically submitted when they reach the availability date and time. If no 'available...until' date is set, the student can continue to work on the quiz after the due date passes, and the submission will be marked "late."  You'll see that in the Set Time Limit section of  How do I manage settings for a quiz in New Quizzes...  .

Please check the available until date, and then let us know. Thanks!

mlehnerd
Community Explorer

Hi @Stef_retired,

I just checked one of the quizzes and had the availability date set to 9/17, the due date 9/26, and no "until" date set.  What I'm talking about is not an issue of the student not being able to start the test after the due date though.  The issue is that if I have a timed test set up, once the student begins they must finish it in the designated time, and when the time limit is reached they get kicked out.  I would like it if the student could keep working after the time limit is up, but show me that they've exceeded the time.  That way if I made the test harder than I expected and the student(s) needed a little extra time, I could make adjustments to their grade accordingly.  Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Megan

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

It does make sense, @mlehnerd . We've moved it forward for broader discussion as a request to allow students to exceed the time limit in New Quizzes along with an indicator for the instructor that they exceeded the time allotment set on the quiz.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New