Allow the "Scan" option on mobile devices to scan as a pdf rather than a jpg

0 Likes
(8)

As a math teacher who has students work on a multiple page assignment or submit their test work as a multiple page assignment. It can be difficult to grade all these assignments on the iPad when they are in jpg format. I would then have to click on each page individually. But when students submit their work as a pdf it can be seen as one file and all on the same page. 

Please allow this to be an option for the sake of making mine and other teachers lives easier when it comes to grading. 

OR

Please fix the issue with uploading from google drive because currently on iPads the uploads either come up as errors or blank screens.

15 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi!

The scan feature in Canvas Student is only available for iOS users. The only supported file type with that feature is .jpg. I think it would be nice to provide students with the option of .jpg or .pdf, especially with multi-page documents.

In the meantime, I encourage you to share GeniusScan with your students. It's free and is available to both iOS and Android users! Students can also create multi-page .pdf files and easily share/open-in... to Canvas Student assignment submissions. This will make the single page file that you're looking for as well.

When your students upload from Google Drive, are they adjusting the sharing settings first? Can they submit a URL to a shared document with a different result? ...or do you have the Google LTI installed at your institution?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

HectorArias
Community Member
Author

Hi @KristinL !

Thank you for the reply and I apologize for the delayed response, I took the time away from work during the holiday break. 

So the only issue regarding .jpg is that when a student submits multiple pictures they cannot be viewed on the same "page" on speed grader. Instead I would have to click on each image separately which may sound like its not a major issue but when you have 130+ students it really takes time to go through each submission and waiting for the wifi to upload each image.

As for google drive, prior to the most recent major update it would work just fine and I was able to view their submission and write on it with my iPad. So if they submitted a URL I would not be able to write and give them feedback on their submissions. We do have Google LTI however there is also a error in that as well. I get a message that states, "This file contains HTML and cannot be previewed. Please download to view." Now I can download it and see their submission on my computer however as I mentioned before that I grade on my iPad so I can leave feedback directly on their Math work. The iPad does not have a download option along with a way to view the pdf.

I will attempt to get all students to download Genius scan, just a bummer because students who are solely having this issue are the ones uploading via Google Drive.

Thank you for your time!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

If you continue to see issues with the Google Drive LTI, I encourage you to submit a Support Ticket! Sometimes there's something that Support can do or suggest. While I am unfamiliar with the LTI, it feels like something changed, based on your comments. It's worth a try!

YES! The annotation capabilities of Speedgrader make PDF and other file uploads valuable! I completely understand.

How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor? 

How do I get help with Canvas as a student? 

John_Adams25
Community Member

When a student uses the scan feature to take pictures of their work done on paper, it would be great to have those merge into one pdf. Having a separate pdf created for each page, as is the case now, makes grading and review feedback inefficient. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Initial Stage: We're reviewing the new conversation

erik_gustafson
Community Participant

Yes, please allow this. This would be a very helpful feature for students and faculty!

AngelaLang
Community Novice

I agree.  The scan option within the Canvas app used to automatically make multiple pages into a single document.  Now they come across as separate pdf files.  I teach freshmen and almost all my assignments are multiple pages.  Extra steps to make a pdf and then submit are prohibitive to them actually completing the assignment.  I have spent 15-20 minutes in several class periods already this year troubleshooting and walking through this process with my students.  Please bring back setting within Canvas where it scanned into a single document (it went away some time early last spring).

StacyZuppa
Community Novice

Yes, please make it so that when students use the scan tool in Canvas to submit, it creates a pdf as a single document.  The students think that is what is happening but I see individual pictures.

cnordick
Community Explorer

I would like to see this feature as well. When students use the scanner tool for submission if the files were merged as a single pdf, it would save me tons of time. Loading each individual picture rather than one file is such a time suck. There is a way to do this through notes and then share it to canvas (which I have my students do) but if it were built into canvas, this would be one less step.

misspenullar
Community Member

This is a must-have for my high school students as this would be one less app I have to force them to download. Please add as soon as possible.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.