Allow to keep due dates when importing your own modules from Commons.

0 Likes
(1)

Importing from Commons is an easy way to share modules between classes when you have multiple classes of the same subject.  

We should have the option to keep the due dates and unlock dates when we're importing our own classes.  

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@kcg 

When content is shared to Canvas Commons, it becomes available to anyone with access to Commons, so the content does not incorporate due dates by design. Can you elaborate on how you envision retaining specific due dates on content in the context of a shared resource repository?

Also, we've developed Direct Share functionality for Modules; that's currently in beta and is scheduled for release in about 10 days (see the Direct Share Modules section of the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-08-26) ). Will the upcoming enhancement to Direct Share functionality address the problem described here?

Thanks.

kcg
Community Explorer

@Stef_retired 

I haven't been using Commons as a shared repository, but rather using the share with only me option.  It's easier than going into the course copy.  It only took two minutes to share to all of my classes using Commons instead of doing it individually, which took about five minutes for each class.  

It sounds like Direct Share would solve the problem, especially if you could share to more than one class at a time.

Thank you! 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@kcg 

You're welcome! We'll mark this for archival, but feel free to come back after you've had a chance to evaluate Direct Share for Modules when it becomes available in production. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

kcg
Community Explorer

Thank you!

jrasmussen
Community Novice

This is  must. It has a dramatic impact on workflow, and we would love for this to be changed so that dates transfer from commons.