Allow upload of multiple files for quiz file upload question

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For the file upload question type on quizzes, allow multiple files to be uploaded.

I use this question type to have students upload their notes from reading the assigned chapter in the text book and give them 1/2 the points on the quiz for their notes.  Some students take notes by hand and upload photos of the pages, so one file per page.

Currently this isn't possible, so students end up e-mailing the images.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
12 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Thanks, David!

sriddle
Community Novice

I've had this request from a faculty, which would go along with this I think.....

I would like ONE enhancement for the quiz tool in Canvas. Right now it only allows a choice of input formats - file upload, multiple choice, essay, text box, fill-in-the-blank etc. I'd like file upload to be an automatic option to go with all of them.

Very often I'd like my students to give/select the correct answer AND provide their justification/work - an Excel file or screenshot or Access database - to support it. This allows me to provide credit for partially correct answers and also look for supporting work. Not just answers obtained by peeking at a neighbors work.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

77296_pastedImage_0.png84959_pastedImage_0.png

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to keep reading the explanation of our archive process for Feature Ideas

Archive: An archived Feature Idea is not dead forever, but it has been taken out of stage progression.  When Community members submit feature ideas they are reviewed by the Community Team and then put to a vote by the community at large.  If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived.  Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting. Find more information about this process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Yes.  Some feature ideas that do not receive 100 votes are resubmitted by Community members and find more supporters as people's needs change, rising more quickly to the top.  Oftentimes archived feature ideas are evaluated in groups when we are preparing to refactor a particular tool or feature of Canvas and may still influence product direction.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea will remain in the open voting forum as an idea related to Priority: Quizzes.Next

*Being a related idea does not guarantee it is slated for development, instead it indicates that the idea is related to the overall scope and is being used to inform the process.

wjohnson460
Community Novice

I teach programming and typically have the students upload their code as answers to a test.  Typically, more complex programs use multiple files.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta Quizzes LTI User Group 

This feature is now available through the new Quizzes LTI tool.  Find more information on the Quizzes LTI tool, and how to access it, at Quizzes LTI User Group 

The specific guide for this feature in the Quizzes LTI tool is How do I create a File Upload assessment question using the Quizzes LTI? 

matthewthomas
Community Participant

As a work around in the meantime, I create 'dummy' questions to allow for more files to be uploaded. I give multiple page tests that some students fill out electronically and upload as a single file, while others print the test and fill it out by hand, often ending up with multiple files to upload. I add the number of extra questions to equal the number of pages--making each one a File Upload question worth 0 pts--so that they can simply upload the additional pages there.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
kelly_spanbauer
Community Novice

I use Adobe Photoshop and would like students to be able to upload .psd files into the Quiz upload option.  Students are able to upload many different file types in the Assignment module, including a .psd file, but are unable to upload the .psd file into the Quiz module because it is not supported.  

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New