New Quizzes: Allow users to -cross out- wrong answers while working through multiple choice problems

0 Likes
(7)

Some of my students are complaining that Canvas Quizzes are more difficult than paper quizzes, and one major reason is that they can not cross out wrong answers as they are thinking through a multiple choice problem. I recommend adding a way for users to do this. It could be as simple as giving an option to use tri-state buttons while they are thinking through things.

Ideally this would look like a small x button somewhere around the response option, but away from the checkbox normally used to select a response. This should cause the entire answer option to change to strikethrough text. This could be an option for individual quizzes, or enabled at the user level.

Even with just 3-4 options, there is a significant mental load to remembering thoughts about all of the possible responses, and this would help significantly. This is especially true now while we are teaching remotely and do not have a good way to offer students an alternate exam format.

6 Comments
CanvasDocTeam
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

arabbah
Community Member

Was going to suggest this myself! Sometimes teachers put an insane amount of choices per question, so elimination really helps.

synkked
Community Novice

There should be a feature during multiple-choice questions in assessments that allow you to cross out selective answers. Just like in examinations where this is extremely useful for clarity purposes, it should be an option for students to use alongside.

DeletedUser
Not applicable

I completely agree with this! As a student, this would allow my quiz/exam experience to be much smoother! I currently have to try to keep track in my head of each answer choice as wrong or if I need to look further into it. It is very difficult to keep everything straight. If I were to skip the question and go back to it, I would have to do everything all over again. This is very frustrating! Adding a strikethrough feature or something similar where students can mark what answer choices they know are incorrect would benefit them immensely. Scores and overall performance on multiple choice questions would increase a lot!

Please add this feature ASAP!!

tbassuncw
Community Member

For multiple-choice exams, allow students to gray out or strike through (or even delete) the choices they want to eliminate. The current system doesn't allow this, so all choices stay on the screen in equal measure. If this were a paper exam, students could cross out the options they don't need. This should be available in Canvas as well.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.