[New Quizzes]  Allowing additional time to a timed quiz in New Quizzes

Teachers should be able to add time to a timed quiz after the time is up. In a face to face class, if a student has been working diligently on a quiz or test and they ask to have additional time, I give it to them. If we are creating virtual environments that are as much like face-to-face classes as possible, we should be able to do the same. I set my time limit on quizzes for 30 minutes and on unit tests for 1 hour, both reflecting what a student would have in a face-to-face setting. If a student needs an extra 10 or 15 minutes, I should be able to give it to them with no problem. In addition, it should be quick and easy to do. 

17 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@glassitter 

Thanks for sharing this idea. Would you confirm that you've already explored the moderation possibilities set forth in How do I add assessment accommodations for a stude... - Canvas Community and How do I moderate a student's assessment attempt i... - Canvas Community 

glassitter
Community Novice

I have viewed these articles. This is not an issue of setting time as an accommodation...I know how to do that. This is about just adding a few minutes to a student's quiz so  they can finish it up. The other article is about the time options  in moderate, but there is no way to just add a few minutes without starting the assessment over. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@glassitter 

Thanks for confirming that. We've moved the idea forward for general discussion.

jlockwood
Community Member

I completely agree. Sometimes a student needs a few more minutes and I should be able to give it to them (like I could in old quizzes). I shouldn't have to go into that students submitted quiz, find the 2 questions they didn't get a chance to answer and then create a whole new quiz for just those 2 questions for that 1 student. 

jlockwood
Community Member

And just as a side note... it took 4 different Canvas reps and over 2 hours to confirm that this wasn't possible to do in New Quizzes while a student was in a live quiz. It definitely looks like you should be able to do this (Moderate button, give additional time, add time, my screen shows +minutes but the student doesn't actually get extra time on the quiz they are currently taking). I kept thinking there had to be a setting problem because you can do this in old quizzes.

bernhard_lohkam
Community Participant

Urgently needed!!! There are always reasons to have to do this during the quiz... be it technical or just forgetfulness of the instructor! Its possible in Classic, so why not (yet) here? A reason to move back to Classic which I would like to avoid... not the way things should move forward.

jcazalas
Community Explorer

Yes! Yes! and Yes!

This is one of the most important features that is currently missing.

With face-to-face assessments, it is common practice to give extra time to the class when needed. And this simply feature does *not* work in with New Quizzes at the moment.

I too have already followed the exact steps in the links provided above, and I've done this now on two occasions, both times failing miserably, only to then learn that this simply does not work with New Quizzes. And for clarity, I did add an extended availability window, for this particular student, in the quiz availability settings. No luck. And as others have posted, it's quite deceiving, because the moderation tab tells me that I have in fact given this student more time. We tried giving an extra hour. We tried the multiplier. Heck, I even tried fully *removing* the time limit. Nothing worked. Again, for clarity, the moderation tab showed that we had given extra time to the student. That much was clear. And we had given this student an extended availability window within the quiz settings. Finally, we reopened the quiz for the student to go BACK into the quiz. I then watched them as they attempted this. Sure enough, the quiz allowed them to go back in, and it asked them for the quiz password...all seemed well, that is, until they clicked submit or go after entering the password. The quiz loaded and then immediately said that time is up!

And then I went back and re-read the link posted:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-moderate-a-student-s-assessment-attempt...

"Moderation timer settings will not be applied to an assessment attempt that is currently in progress."

I understood that to be "literally" in progress, as in only when the student was actively taking a quiz. However, since it did not work by adding time and then reopening, I'm now inferring that the *only* way to add time is by making a second attempt with additional time, a fully cheesy an unacceptable solution.

That is the problem and needs to be addressed. If students are in a quiz, and the instructor determines that an extra 15 minutes are warranted, it *should be easy* to simply add 15 minutes for all students (or for one student if something went wrong during the quiz). And when those 15 minutes are added (for example), that additional time should automatically update their respective timers and, in theory, perhaps a small alert should display informing them they've been given an extra 15 minutes.

msbarclay
Community Member

New Quiz moderation does not allow for time to be added to an in progress attempt and re-opening an attempt only allows them to use the remaining time they have. As the student has already hit their time limit they would have to restart the quiz to get the added time.

Allow moderation to extend time while attempt is in progress.

cbartolac
Community Explorer

YES!! Please do this.  So many walls when using New Quizzes and this is one of them.