[New Quizzes]  Allowing additional time to a timed quiz in New Quizzes

Teachers should be able to add time to a timed quiz after the time is up. In a face to face class, if a student has been working diligently on a quiz or test and they ask to have additional time, I give it to them. If we are creating virtual environments that are as much like face-to-face classes as possible, we should be able to do the same. I set my time limit on quizzes for 30 minutes and on unit tests for 1 hour, both reflecting what a student would have in a face-to-face setting. If a student needs an extra 10 or 15 minutes, I should be able to give it to them with no problem. In addition, it should be quick and easy to do. 

17 Comments
twalther
Community Participant

All my students think I can do this! They will ask me mid-assessment to give them just a couple more minutes to finish and I have to tell them sorry, that is not something Canvas can do.

flee1
Community Participant

This needs to be a feature!!! I cannot tell you how frustrating it is for students and teachers who need adjust for unforeseen circumstances. 

Currently, in the moderations tab under "time adjustments", there is the option to "give additional time". But this feature does not work once the test has begun, which completely defeats the purpose of moderating a test. 

maki1
Community Participant

Thank you for raising this! Definitely agree we need this feature the way we had it in Classic Quizzes.

Once a student starts their attempt, making edits to the quiz availability does not reflect for the student, and without this ability to moderate an in-progress attempt, we cannot help students who legitimately should receive extra time (e.g. students who have technical issues or delays getting started with a quiz, students with accommodations due to accessibility reasons, or correcting an incorrectly entered start/end time).

Also, New Quizzes has a new feature to "Reopen" a quiz, but that again follows the original time limit/availability so doesn't work to help the student continue writing their in-progress attempt if it has submitted early in error - it would be more useful combined with this moderation feature.

mathieu
Community Participant

Agreed.  This is an essential function.  I am puzzled by the way the devs have currently handled the workflow.  The system lets you reopen the attempt and add additional time, but then the student is greeted with an immediate "Time is up" message after clicking continue.

Please prioritize changes like this over the inconsequential features Instructure has been adding in recent months.

jpingrah
Community Member

Wholeheartedly and vehemently agree that the feature of being able to add time to a student's currently in-progress quiz/exam NEEDS [MUST!] be carried over to New Quizzes.  It is the feature I use the most!  I have between 264-288 students in a classroom taking my exams and inevitably someone's computer crashes or they get kicked off the wifi.  I absolutely NEED to have this feature in New Quizzes.

@SuSorensen - On 10/14/2021 in the "Possibilities for User Experience of Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes Migration" thread, I saw you mention this feature and the fact that you lament it is not currently available.  Could you give us an update?

elisat
Community Participant

Yes, please fix this! In addition to being able to give more time, it would be really nice to be able to extend the available until time after the student has begun the exam. If a student has an issue getting started when the exam is supposed to begin an instructor should have the option to give the student more time to finish. There is no way to do this currently, even with the option to re-open the exam in New Quizzes.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme