Always allow extra time for specific students (IEP, LEP, etc.)

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I know that we can go to a timed quiz and add on more time.

I would like to allow extra time for specific students not just for certain quizzes, but for ALL timed activities, since this is very often a part of a student's IEP. For example:

Quiz A: 10 minutes

Quiz B: 20 minutes

Quiz C: 15 minutes

Let's say that my IEP student Vernor Learner generally needs 15 extra minutes. I allow him the 15 minutes for ALL timed tasks, so he now gets 25, 35 and 30 minutes total on quizzes A, B and C, respectively. 

This just saves me the time of granting extra time for each task and lets me get it all done at the start of the semester.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
36 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Joni.  it is always great to use links to related ideas as reference, but please be careful not to lump them together as a 'kitchen sink' request.  Feature ideas need to be very specific and focused to move forward in the process.  You can find information on that in How do I create a new feature idea?​ and How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

millerjm
Community Champion

Renee, I just opened up another one with my idea.  Sorry, I'm frustrated sometimes with what is recommended to open as a separate request and what isn't

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

You presented it perfectly!  Nicely done.  As Community Managers, we even struggle with some of the ideas...  Are the ideas so intertwined that they are one, or are they ideas that could be implemented or developed in stages....  etc etc...  We try our best to be transparent and articulate why we ask for some ideas to be broken apart!

Thank you so much for continuing to work through this with us. 

rpetrina
Community Member

For those of use who don't know what an IEP or an LEP is... help? We don't use this terminology in my system.

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

IEP = Individualized Education Program (e.g., your student is gifted, or autistic, or blind--how will instruction be adjusted to fit your student's needs?)

LEP = Limited English Proficiency

cwendt
Community Champion

To add to what Beth Young said, an IEP does give specific information. Here are some common "tags":

additional time

must have test read to him/her

seated near teacher

less choices on multiple choice questions

extra day to turn in homework . . . etc.

LEPs may also request extra time, notes to be given to student, allowed to use a computer, etc.

The extra time thing is VERY common, which is why this idea was submitted.

rpetrina
Community Member

Thanks for the clarification,  @cwendt ​ and  @Beth_Young ​. The extra timing is very common in accommodation testing for students with documented disabilities, but as Joni mentioned above, it's always a percentage.

proctor-manager
Community Novice

This would be beneficial so I do not need to constantly check and see what new class they are in and then manually set up all quizzes with extended time.  Since this is a legal requirement that all student with IEPs, 504, etc be accommodated with extended time if listed so this would make sure that none get missed when taking new classes.

bushdavid
Community Novice

"In higher ed, I think the more common scenario is to extend time as a multiplier of the original time.  For example, in a class with quizzes and exams, the students would get 1.5x, 2x, 4x the original time of the test."

This has always been my experience when teaching college students.

cwendt
Community Champion

Oh, yay! It made it to 100. Full steam ahead!