Always allow extra time for specific students (IEP, LEP, etc.)

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I know that we can go to a timed quiz and add on more time.

I would like to allow extra time for specific students not just for certain quizzes, but for ALL timed activities, since this is very often a part of a student's IEP. For example:

Quiz A: 10 minutes

Quiz B: 20 minutes

Quiz C: 15 minutes

Let's say that my IEP student Vernor Learner generally needs 15 extra minutes. I allow him the 15 minutes for ALL timed tasks, so he now gets 25, 35 and 30 minutes total on quizzes A, B and C, respectively. 

This just saves me the time of granting extra time for each task and lets me get it all done at the start of the semester.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
36 Comments
gwlgis
Community Novice

I'm driving myself batty, clicking "find more info here", "find even more info here" about the additional time PER student rather than per student, per quiz...

I have 3 students in one class (and 3 in two others) that need 1.5 and 2x the time on tests.

I’ve been hoping for a way to assign that to a STUDENT, rather than 10-15 quizzes per quarter, for each individual student. (30 times, manually, this quarter for GIS 311 alone).

Is there a place to 'go' that explains how to use this feature, or was it never implemented?

Thanks

For example: this talks about adding a 'multiplier' but not a global setting. How do I add assessment accommodations for a student in New Quizzes? | Canvas Instructor Guide | Can... 

gwlgis
Community Novice

Says I'm 'Unauthorized'...

(YES, I am logged in).

This is what I mean below...

"I'm driving myself batty, clicking "find more info here", "find even more info here" about the additional time PER student rather than per student, per quiz...

I have 3 students in one class (and 3 in two others) that need 1.5 and 2x the time on tests.

I’ve been hoping for a way to assign that to a STUDENT, rather than 10-15 quizzes per quarter, for each individual student. (30 times, manually, this quarter for GIS 311 alone).

Is there a place to 'go' that explains how to use this feature, or was it never implemented?

Thanks"

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@gwlgis , this idea is marked "complete" because the ability to extend quiz times for a single student across all quizzes has been developed and is available in New Quizzes: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16842-41521110302 This is not possible in Old (Classic) Quizzes, which will be deprecated in early 2021.

gwlgis
Community Novice

Thank you.

I heard back from the University of Washington, they are not sure when we will move to the new quizzes.

Regards,

Greg

Gregory Lund, MS, MGIS

253-692-4873 | gwlgis@uw.edu<mailto:gwlgis@uw.edu>

Lecturer | Undergraduate GIS Certificate

http://www.tacoma.uw.edu/urban-studies/geographic-information-systems-gis-certificate

Geospatial Lab Manager

http://www.tacoma.uw.edu/msgt

School of Urban Studies

University of Washington, Tacoma

Pinkerton 219 | 1900 Commerce Street

Tacoma, WA 98402

http://www.tacoma.uw.edu/campus-map/campus-map

• We are currently accepting applications for the 2020-2021 GIS Certificate ****

• We are currently accepting applications for the 2020-2021 Master of Science in Geospatial Technologies ****

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed