Analytics - Include Last Login and Last Participation Date at Top

I'd like to propose an improvement to the Analytics screen for instructors.  Right now, the instructor has to look at the Access Report to see the last time that a student participated, or look carefully at the graphs on the Analytics screen.  We have tried training our faculty to find this date, but there is still a lot of confusion, and I have sent faculty a PDF of the Access Report that clearly had the last participation date, and they still report the wrong date.  We need the dates available for faculty to easily access and not have room for error/interpretation, and this has major implications for financial aid reporting to federal and state auditors and to our students who depend on financial aid to continue their coursework.  See below for screenshot with proposed information added at top of the Analytics report for a student.

Note:  Canvas Data does not solve this problem as this information needs to be in our faculty's hands for entering grades and reporting Last Date of Attendance.

136572_analytics summary.pnganalytics summary.png

17 Comments
Chris_Munzo
Partner
Partner

Hi  @millerjm ​ !  I'm with Tampa-based Alliance Partner - AspirEDU​ and we can solve this problem for you.  (And by the way, my son is a 2014 graduate of Seminole State!)

Our Dropout Detective solution provides the following screens for instructors.  We have other views for administrators like you.  I spoke to and demo'ed to Christine Broeker two weeks ago, so please check with her.  Thank you!

136967_pastedImage_0.png

136968_pastedImage_1.png

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for your submission,  @millerjm ​. This idea will be open for voting next voting cycle. I will also share this idea with the Canvas Data​ team. Smiley Happy

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. January 6, 2016 - Wed. April 6, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

178700_pastedImage_9.png

Thank You for taking the time and energy to submit and discuss your idea. Your feedback helps our product teams prioritize feature development so we can build a product you will love. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. All feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and may influence product direction.

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to stay invested in Feature Ideas process of making Canvas better!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

For anyone interested in this topic, be sure to RSVP to the CanvasLIVE event Obtaining Access Report Data for an Entire Class , which is coming up this Friday, February 3, 2017. RSVP “yes” if you will be there--and if you’re interested, but your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "no" or "maybe" to receive all event updates. Your RSVP ensures that you will receive a notification should the event be cancelled or changed.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea will remain in the open voting forum as an idea related to https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/analytics?sr=search&searchId=be88cb27-d962-4a3f-9a31...

*Being a related idea does not guarantee it is slated for development, instead it indicates that the idea is related to the overall scope and is being used to inform the process.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Greetings.  In the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2018-02-06) there is a new inclusion of the Last Attended Date in the people tab.  It does not complete this idea, but it seems like a step in the direction you were seeking?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@millerjm  

Did you get a chance to read the beta release?  This is now in the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14130-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-02-17 

millerjm
Community Champion

Hi Renee, 

Thanks for letting me know! 

It doesn't really accomplish what we were hoping for - using the analytics to obtain that "last participation date" but it's a step in the right direction. 

Down the road, perhaps giving the institution a bit of flexibility to have an admin set what that could be automatically populated as as an account-level setting regarding activity in the class and what that could be set at using the class analytics would make this a powerful tool.  For example, we determine last participation date as turning in a graded assignment, but another institution may interpret this differently regarding federal, state or accreditation guidelines or institution policies.  

Joni

chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

This is something we've struggled with since adopting Canvas 5 years ago...  I know Canvas already has some definition of "participation" since we can see checkmarks on the admin page views tool.  I really wish that data could be compiled and visible to teachers as well (preferably with a last participation date next to the last login date).  It would be a huge win for everyone at our institution.  Even better than this would be  @millerjm ‌'s suggestion to let the institution define "participation" in their own way, but I know this would be a LOT of work on Instructure's side.  I'd at least settle for teacher's view of the current Instructure algorithm for participation

Boekenoogen
Community Contributor

The more information we have in analytics the better chance we have in making sure our students succeed. 

karen_bowden
Community Contributor

Just joining in this conversation - The ability to export this kind of data from People is becoming important not just for school-based but also non-school based students (staff) as well. When you have over 200 students in a course the ability to export and manipulate data can be critical to everyone's success.

gibbonsd
Community Participant

Like to propose an idea to add a list of lasts for the New Analytics on individual students. The Last Summary would be a simple summary of the last date and time of student activity. The instructors could use this information to determine attendance purposes and proactive interaction with at-risk students.

To see the individual student last summary:

• Click on New Analytics
  • Click on Students
  • Click on the name of an individual student.

To the right of the student name in New Analytics when reviewing the individual student activity to have a summary of dates and times of student's Last Login, Last Access, Last Submission, Last Participation, and Last Communication.

Student Last Summary

millerjm
Community Champion

@gibbonsd ‌ that's a great addition to this.  Thanks for the use case. For privacy I can see last communication being restricted to communication for this particular class and not overall inbox messages.  

Maybe someday it will be worked on and it's good to have this idea on here.  

Teacherange403
Community Member

Please add the option on the Grades page for a column showing when the student last logged in. Could there also be an easier way to view all student login history? As students work, it really helps to be able to see who is logged in and who is not as well as when they last logged in. If it's on the Grades page, I can see if they are logged in and what their progress has been in one place.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived