[Announcements] Announcement Area ReDesign

Right now both Global Announcements and Course Announcements become easily cluttered. It would be beneficial, especially where Global Announcements are concerned, if we had a way to archive or keep announcements sorted. Three areas: Posted/Live, Pending, Archived.

I would like to see an "Archive" area for announcements, well, everywhere:

• For Students who have seen the announcement but don't want to delete it in case they need to refer back to it later.
  • For Teachers who copy courses forward and might want to re-use (the content of) an announcement but do not want them listed/seen by the students in the course.
  • For Admins who want to clean up the Campus-wide Announcement Area but do not want to delete the announcements that have been posted. [Especially as the Announcements are now part of the university communication and need to be kept for 5 years. Our current Global Announcements area has about 30 "old" announcements cluttering the page.]

Posted/Live

This would be the area where announcements that are within their open and end dates would be. Once the end date has passed it could move to Archive.

Pending

It would be helpful on all announcements to see a "Pending" label for those that have been created but not actually sent/posted (globally or in a course). It would be nice if these could also be editable.

Finally, in the Global Announcements area, it would be nice if the announcements could be collapsed and just show the title and the open and close date. Currently, the entire announcement, for each announcement posted or set to post, appears on the page. This makes for one very long page.

Additional item added on July 205, 2019: Add ability to sort Global Announcements by creation date or posting date. Date sort for both options should be ascending and descending.

Added to Theme

57 Comments
dspiel
Community Participant

This is a no-brain fix and should have already been done.  There should also be a search box in addition to listing it newest to the oldest.

joni
Community Explorer

I support this idea. I have three big hopes for Announcements changes in the future:

1) Users have some way to archive or save old Announcements that they may have dismissed. I had used global announcements to send out survey links, etc., and often students would mistakenly close the announcement and have no way to get back to the link. 

2) Better organization in the Global Announcements list. Even just sorting into "Active", "Recent", and "Archived" or something similar, AND on a similar note...

3) The ability to simply copy then edit a previous announcement and set a new date on it. We were using announcements to send info about spirit days and I was shocked to find that I couldn't just edit the last one, change a link and a few words, and just reset the announcement's date... I had to create a whole new one. Yes I can just copy/paste the text into the new one, but that gets cluttered very quickly and it seems like something that could easily be built-in. 

c_murphy
Community Participant

It seems that global announcements is long overdue for an overhaul....

kimberly_harris
Community Member

I would love to be able to view Global Announcements in a calendar format, and be able to duplicate and repost as needed from that calendar.

nbh115
Community Member

"For Teachers who copy courses forward and might want to re-use (the content of) an announcement but do not want them listed/seen by the students in the course."

YES PLEASE!!!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme