Announcements page as course home page

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
  Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

As an instructor, I want to set the Announcements page in my course as the course home page. Students would see this page first whenever they access the course. Canvas allows a variety of other pages in a course to be set as the home page (activity stream, syllabus, a page I create); why not the Announcements page?

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: C. David Frankel
Thank you especially for contributions by: Mick Cunningham, Josh Blumberg

Comments from instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-07)

42 Comments
mlattke
Instructure
Instructure

Alright, twist my arm  😉  Feature request added! 

Terrible title, but I had a hard time putting it into words.

hvaughn
Community Contributor

I know some of our instructors would love this option!

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for the feedback, everybody!

Deactivated user​ and I are researching this request, and we have a few phone interviews lined up already. If you feel that you've got unique requirements for announcements as a homepage, say so and we'll reach out to schedule something.

Depending on scope and development estimates, we may be able to squeeze this in sometime over the next couple of months, or it may need to be added to our roadmap discussion in September. I'm archiving this idea now, and attaching it to the story so we can keep track of any further discussion. We'll keep you posted!

ccalderon
Community Champion

Love this idea - I just voted for it!

bschneider
Community Novice

Well here we are its now literally the last day of September... any word on how this is progressing?

I just had another request from a Professor this afternoon.

Kind regards,

Brent

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for checking in. Enhancements to Announcements (including this one) are on the table for discussion at long-term planning, and that discussion has been rescheduled for mid-October. To give some more perspective, Announcements enhancements are second in communications priority to Inbox enhancements, and communications components (e.g., Inbox, Announcements, Discussions, Calendar, Chat, Conferences, etc.) are one group among several at the table for planning (other groups include Gradebook, Assessments, Admin, mobile apps, new projects, etc.), and each group has its own priority list. With long-term planning, we try to zoom out (i.e., remove each group's subjectivity) to make sure the right projects for our clients and our company are built at the right time. Lots to be done...stay tuned!

kona
Community Champion

Thanks for the update  @peytoncraighill !

vallathn
Community Member

I don't want the announcements on the home page entirely, but would like the right sidebar to show the latest announcements instead of the assignment weights.

wanda
Community Novice

We would love this feature as well.  Then teachers would be able to post course announcements that students would see upon entering the classroom.

cnaraya2
Community Novice

We recently migrated from Moodle to Canvas and our faculty are used to having announcements on the home page as well. I agree with some of the earlier posts that design takes away the importance of announcements.

The first Canvas course we setup was imported from Moodle. In this course, we had a module on top with the course resources like (syllabus, lecture guides and so on) which included a link to the Announcements section. This design works well for us and we would like something similar.

When we imported the course from moodle, canvas retained the same design. However,  I can't do the same when for new courses created on Canvas.This is inconsistent. The design should allow Announcements to be added to a module just as it does a content page or assignment or external url.