App Center - External Tools

0 Likes

Hello,

Please provide a check box when configuring or editing an App to pick weather or not you'd like it to show in the External Tool Options in a course.

We have over 260 apps in our Canvas system, because of this we have to add an asterisk to the name of Apps that are used to link content in a course. Not all Apps are needed for this so to keep the External Tool list shorter if you could configure an App to show in External Tools or not using a check box or slide button that would help us out tremendously. 

Tags (1)
6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@dholik 

I believe the configuration settings for each app are set by the app developer and are not something Canvas can override. I've asked our team to review the idea to confirm whether that is accurate.

dholik
Community Participant
Author

I don't think their configuration marks something as link able in the External Tools area. If so they all have it on by default. And trying to get every vendor to make this change would be impossible where Instructure can add an option box in the config area.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@dholik Thanks. Whether it's vendor-controlled or something Instructure could impose in the config area is what I'm working on ascertaining.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@dholik I've just been told that the app builder decides where the app can be viewed and am awaiting confirmation that it is not something Instructure could add to the configuration area that would override the app builder's design. We'll keep the idea in Moderating status for the moment.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@dholik 

I've now received confirmation from our engineering team that app placements are controlled app-by-app by the developer of the application. As this is not something Canvas design can influence, we've archived the idea.