Apply Status [missing, late, excused] while in Speedgrader

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-10-16) .

With the new Gradebook, you can apply one of these status items to an assignment:

302758_pastedImage_1.png

Our professors would like the ability to toggle different status markers while they are in Speedgrader.

105 Comments
KRisch
Community Member

While in Speed grader I would like the option to change work to missing, late, or excused instead of having to go into the gradebook and find the assignment.

TechCommChair
Community Member

This would make life sooooo much easier and prevent many grading mistakes!

Seth03
Community Member

We recently had a workgroup collect feedback from our middle and high school teachers and this was one of the most frequently asked for features. So much grading is done in Speedgrader that having as many options to fine tune and clearly communicate a students grade as possible is essential. Please make this happen.

stephanie_estes
Community Explorer

Yes, Yes, YES!  Please consider this feature.  I so rarely enter a score on the gradebook where this feature is an option.  I grade mostly through speed grader where it is convenient to give students descriptive feedback.  I would like to be able to adjust scores for students who were absent (not late) easily.

gibbonsmath
Community Member

I was just telling another teacher how I wish we could update this status in SpeedGrader.  All of my grading is done through SpeedGrader and I spend too much time going back to remove the late note. 

d_truax
Community Member

I would also love to have those comments available to add to the default grade option.  I have SO MANY students that fail to turn in work & an auto fill for missing would be a great time saver!

anparker
Community Member

Another Community Member Request for Hotkeys to be added to Speedgrader. For an instructor of 5 students, manually going back and forth between gradebook and speedgrader in order to use the drop-down options or that annoying sidebar nonsense might be ok but when you have 10 classes of 35+, hotkeys are essential in both Speedgrader AND the gradebook! I worked at the IRS for a while and can 10-key a mile a minute but it takes AGES to mark assignments as late, missing, complete, incomplete, etc. It literally will quadruple my grading time if I have any sort of paper assignments that I am manually adding into the gradebook and I have to manually mark assignments as missing or incomplete. 

PLEASE PLEASE add Hotkeys to the gradebook and speedgrader! I will personally comment on this post thread and any others on this same topic every single day this school year if I have to in order to bring this to Canvas' attention!

bridget_kelly
Community Novice

I would like to see the Status options ( None, Late, Missing, Excused) that are currently available in gradebook within SpeedGrader as well.

If a student is absent and thus submits an assignment late, I have to grade it, then go to grades to change the status from late to none. Having they same option (perhaps right about the comment box) would be very helpful!

ConstanceFrankl
Community Member

I really need to be able to adjust the status from SpeedGrader. I have sections that have over 300 students in them and it is incredibly time consuming to go back to the grades page to adjust late penalties for when I give extensions. And since resubmissions are given a new late penalty I must often override this as well.

nusjasp
Community Novice

This is one of the numerous and heinous oversights of this terrible LMS platform. It is hands down the most inconvenient grading system I have ever been forced to use. When you cannot view student work from the main grading page, and you cannot change assignment flags from Speed Grader, it is absolutely atrocious trying to go back and forth. In addition, when clicking to go back to the gradebook, it should take you back to the current student, in the current assignment. Not the starting view of the grades page. I absolutely despise Canvas.