Apply Status [missing, late, excused] while in Speedgrader

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-10-16) .

With the new Gradebook, you can apply one of these status items to an assignment:

302758_pastedImage_1.png

Our professors would like the ability to toggle different status markers while they are in Speedgrader.

105 Comments
CristinShay
Community Member

100%! This is my biggest pet peeve with Canvas. I have several students with an IEP who are allowed to submit assignments late for full credit. I usually have to keep two windows open just to override the automatic late deduction for these students. 

heather_houston
Community Member

This is the update I am waiting for. It would simplify my life a lot to be able to change the status of these things from speedgrader instead of having to grade an assignment in speedgrader and then to the gradebook to make the changes. Please do this!!!

frizzord
Community Member

Please add the feature that allows us to edit the assignment tags (missing, late, etc.) from within SpeedGrader. Currently if I need to change a tag (for example if a student resubmitted an assignment), I have to exit from SpeedGrader to the grade book, make the change there and then go back to SpeedGrader to continue grading. It really slows me down!

Thank you!

(Role: secondary science teacher)

KibibiKelly
Community Novice

I want to request an option to delete the late penalty on the speed grader page. It would greatly help when grading work for students who have extended time accommodations.

LisaMcarthur
Community Member

I would love to be able to remove the late penalty for specific students on the speed grader page instead of having to go into Grades and removing it that way.

cdunn4
Community Explorer

Canvas labels any submission after the published due date and time as late.  I accept late work, so I like having it noted, but I also accept revised work.   With a toggle in the speedgrader, I could turn off the late penalty for a revised assignment and the student isn't wondering why their grade is lower than their first attempt because the late penalty was assessed on something they had completed on time in the first place.

Maybe just another status REVISED could be added.  It doesn't have to turn off the late status, but prompts you to either turn off or leave on the late penalty.  There would still be a few clicks, but it would be on the same window and save time.

EmilyCouncil
Community Member

I have seen two previous posts on this but it appears I'm not able to comment or up-vote them.

Canvas automatically applies late penalties for students submitting late assignments.  I would love to be able to remove the late penalty while grading in the SpeedGrader instead of having to navigate back to the gradebook and remove the late penalty at a separate time.  This would help teachers save time trying to grade assignments.

Nhadley12
Community Participant

I see this is in the Sept 2021 Roadmap, is this going to be released? It doesn't say, it's just post there for some reason. 

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: On Beta
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta  How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-10-16) - Instructure Community

bontomasin
Community Explorer

Yes, please.