Assessments - add more than just quizzes

In many of the texts I use in my discipline, we have study guides or workbooks that the students complete. Currently, the only way I can create an assignment to grade these submissions is to set up a quiz.  Even though I instruct the students that this is not truly a quiz, but a graded assignment, the mere mention of a quiz, throws them into text anxiety.  This is not helpful.  Please consider other types of graded assessments besides quizzes.  Perhaps the ability to add just another type of assessment would be beneficial?
60 Comments
cellittij
Community Novice

Yes, yes, yes. This would be wonderful!

jlg65
Community Participant

This sounds great to me Deactivated user​. Thanks for asking.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Please keep in mind this would only add the descriptor to the title of the quiz... it would not impact grading, gradebook, or grading policies inside Canvas. You would still need to use assignment groups, etc.

cellittij
Community Novice

Honestly, that would work out perfectly.   Thank you!

iys2
Community Explorer

Jason, this would work really well on our end. Thank you.

LisaCasto
Community Novice

Perfect! You are so smart, friend! Smiley Happy

rjf227
Community Participant

I am fine with "Assessments" on the left side-bar.  However, giving the option for an instructor to choose the type of assessment from their preferred terminology would be very beneficial.  For example, often the instructors I work with refer to "Exams" as larger/more significant (higher stakes) assessments while they might use "Quizzes" to refer to smaller/less significant (lower stakes) assessments. 

rmm35
Community Novice

I like this idea, but I think it would be even better to provide the three options listed below. The person creating the activity/assignment would have to pick one of the three options.

1. Default title
  2. Drop-down menu with other common titles (This selection would replace the default title.)
  3. Text field for an original title (This selection would replace the default title.)
jcb5021
Community Novice

Definitely. The descriptor field would help differentiate low steaks from high steaks. Thanks!

olexar
Community Contributor

When I moved over from ANGEL, I thought this was going to be so confusing for the students! I was wrong. By default, we have the quizzes link disabled, and this has not been an issue at all. That being said, there is one that trips me up all the time. "Oh dang. I need to go to assignments, not quizzes!" This usually rears it's ugly head while working in my traditional courses... How about they all live in assignments?

bogardde
Community Participant

I think a dropdown with descriptors would go a long way to helping teachers consider the quizzing engine as a much more multi-purpose tool than just giving quizzes. It would also help clarify the activity being assigned for the students, who tend to panic at the sight of the word "quiz."

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

thompsli
Community Champion

I'd just like to suggest the word "fillable" instead of "quiz". Sure, no one calls their quiz/text/worksheet/exit ticket a "fillable", but that's why it's a great word for this: it gets to the mechanics of why it's different than an "assignment" without specifying what role it serves in the class like exam/quiz/worksheet does. They're all things I fill out, generally with a bunch of fields and some directions between them, rather than something that's all in one chunk that I upload like the various assignment options seem to be. 

(I use Canvas Quizzes for autograded "homework" type problems with multiple attempts and immediate feedback, which I call "Exercises", and do all of my actual testing on paper. Quiz is a totally unhelpful word to have tangled up with how I use Canvas Quizzes.)

lshulman
Community Participant

I would find it helpful to change the name of "quiz" to "exam" to differentiate between informal and quick little quizzes students can do at home vs. formal and longer "exams" that are proctored.

Basically, these assessments can all be part of the Canvas "Quiz" function but allow instructors to change the name as suited to the kind of assessment: quiz, exam, test, worksheet, study guide, etc...

lshulman
Community Participant

problem with "graded survey" is that surveys do not have right or wrong answers, as a quiz or worksheet would. Students just get the full credit for simply doing the survey.

lshulman
Community Participant

Constancia, if it is a practice quiz, but you are still including the grade in total points (since quizzes do not give the option to "not include in total" - there is another discussion on this issue). 

I allow quizzes to be done multiple times but only count the "highest" attempt. Is that what you are doing with these "practice" quizzes? Or do you have the point total for the questions being zero (the only way I can think for now to make a quiz not add points to the point total)? Though then the student will not know from the grade how well they did. They will have to open the completed quiz to see what they got right and wrong.

So what do you mean by "practice"? How are you using graded quizzes as "practice" (there is the option to identify it as "practice quiz" but then instructors do not see the results).

thompsli
Community Champion

I'm not who you were replying to, but I use a weighted gradebook with a grade category called "extra practice" worth 0% of the course grade. I use that category for things like end-of-term reviews, which I'll title something like "Optional: Final Exam Review and Practice Test" and let them complete as many times as they want. That way, it shows up in their Canvas Calendar and To-Do List as something to complete, but since the first word in the title is "Optional" it gets the message across that they can skip it if they want to. Since the reviews are in a grade category worth 0% of their grade, they aren't "really" worth any points overall, but they'll show up as a graded quiz everywhere in Canvas so students will actually notice them. 

lshulman
Community Participant

Thanks for the suggestion.

I need a way to do this that does not rely on weighted grades. Weighted grades will not allow my extra credit or late penalty points to be included in point total.

- Laura Shulman

http://www.nvcc.edu/home/lshulman/

~~~~~~~~~~

The more we know, the more we know, there's more to know, than we think we know!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!