Assign Accommodations in Canvas Grade book

0 Likes
(5)

In the new quizzes platform, teachers can provide accommodations to students and those accommodations are provided on every quiz without the teacher continually having to reassign them. It would be wonderful if this feature could be added to the Canvas grade book. This way a teacher can provide 504's and/or IEP's extended time and they receive this on every assignment which is recorded in the grade book. Even better, if there were a drop down menu and the teacher could select which category the student received the accommodation: on homework, quizzes, tests, projects, etc... 

21 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

MattHanes
Community Champion

I am definitely in favor of anything that increases the ease of adding accommodations for our students with special needs.

mmlego
Community Member

One of our teachers spoke with Canvas Help and they said the only way to provide time or attempt accommodations was through the actual assignment or quiz. We would like to have this capability set by student, so they extra time or attempts would be applied to anything assigned. This would help teachers be compliant with IEPs and 504s without having to do the extra step of moderating it every time something was assigned. 

Phenix3180
Community Novice

The ability to apply an accommodation of extra time directly to the student, which would apply to all of their tests/quizzes, rather than having to manually adjust each individual quiz, is a fairly large lacking feature

mooremath1
Community Member

I agree, there should definitely be a way to assign accommodations to student profiles so that the accommodations are automatically applied to each new assignment. Having to go through a list of students in every assignment that isn't sorted in any obvious way (and is not able to be sorted by alpha or section) and then set each accommodation for every single assignment is definitely inefficient for special education teachers. I am also wondering why extra time and extra attempts are the only available accommodations.

martino17
Community Novice

We would love a feature that would allow teachers to alter a student's profile that have accommodations. For example, If Ashley has extra time accommodation for assignments and tests. We could select that under her profile and Canvas would know to give that student extra time for all her assignments. Instead of the teacher having to select the accommodation for each individual assignment.

melissao
Community Member

This would be fabulous! Especially since our state is moving toward everyone testing online.

aholcombe
Community Member

There are kids in every school that have IEPs that require, by law, different and specific things such as extended time or unlimited time within the grade period to do assignments without penalty. However, the canvas gradebook settings are currently all or nothing. It would be great to be able to change the setting for a specific student if needed.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

drubin1
Community Participant

It would be extremely helpful and time-saving, if we could do bulk moderation of assignments, i.e., time extensions, etc., for students with disabilities. At present this must be done manually for each assignment, one at a time.

whitney_tholen
Community Explorer

I suggest that a feature be added to Canvas where you can moderate for a student for multiple assignments at once. This can be cumbersome when you have to do it for a student and there are almost 20 assignments with all different requirements.

drubin1
Community Participant

Absolutely great idea that should be implemented. This is similar to an idea that put forth some time ago.

nschuma6
Community Member

I am a system admin and our instructors have requested the ability to set an accommodation (like those in the ‘Moderate’ tab) for a student that would apply to ALL assignments for that type.  Our instructors do similar weekly assessments so they have to adjust them for multiple students each week. It would be easier to have the option (maybe a checkbox) to ‘apply this moderation to all assignments of this type’ as the vast majority of accommodations for students do not change during the semester.

I found this guide for adding assessment accommodations, but it doesn't look like the option to apply it to all assessments of a specific type is available.

ChristineMILLS
Community Explorer

I too am definitely in favour of this feature.  Anything that ensures students are provided with the accommodation they need at all times, not just assessment by assessment item.  This is also incredibly important to ensure students are provided every opportunity to achieve the way they need to.  Accommodations need to be put in place just in case a teacher needs to leave the class for whatever reason.

pdigiacobbe
Community Explorer

We would like to see a feature that will allow an instructor to add adjusted due dates to assignments in a bulk fashion when a student need  accommodations for assignments, discussions and quizzes. At this time, if a student needs adjusted due dates on assignments, the instructor has to go into each and every assignment and use the +Add to assign new dates to the assignments. Some classes have 100+ assignments that need to be adjusted for a class.

Thank you

Patty DiGiacobbe

kstarcher
Community Novice

In this particular course, there are over 110 "mini assignments."  For each student that needs extended time to complete the assignment, I need a "global" setting for that student.  As it is now, I need to go into each assignment, add the student's name and then change the due date. Thank you.

jurry
Community Explorer

Please add this feature.

GlendaWalden
Community Member

Given how many student have learning accommodations including extra time for quizzes, exams, and other timed assignments, it would save a lot of time to be able to enter extra time (eg 1.5) for a person (maybe under the people tab) that then was automatically added to any timed assignment on Canvas.

Aiden9
Community Novice

This would be immensely helpful for large college courses. 15 quizzes x 20+ students needing extra time, spread across 10 pages in the "Moderate Quiz" list makes it ridiculously tedious. Honestly just letting us select students on multiple pages would be an improvement.

JeffreyKramer
Community Novice

I concur with Aiden9 about large college courses, especially for those of us who are adjuncts. There must be a way to implement this change that does not require whole-sale changes to the product; User Details seems the most logical place to add this feature.