[Peer Review] Assign Peer Reviews by Student Group

This one has been suggested before, but I'd like to suggest it again: one of the options for setting peer reviews of assignments should be "by student group"--all members of a group are automatically assigned each other's assignments for peer reviews. This would save me a lot of setup--manually setting up peer reviews currently takes about 20 minutes per class, per assignment.

Added to Theme

39 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

Anna_Shaver
Community Participant

This worked beautifully for me! Having to set it as a group assignment initially was a bit counterintuitive, but I get how it works now.

James
Community Champion

@Anna_Shaver ,

You don't have to make it a group assignment first, but you must have groups defined somewhere so it knows how to assign the reviews. I wasn't clear on that in the documentation and am not sure that I had even tested it until you said something, but it did work for me on a non-group assignment.

Thanks for the feedback.

Anna_Shaver
Community Participant

Thanks for the reply! Do you know what the result of making it a group vs non-group assignment would be? Normally, with group assignments, one person completes on behalf of the whole group, but your script seems to set it back to completion at the individual level.

Anna_Shaver
Community Participant

Answer to my own question (now that people have turned assignments in!)--making it a group assignment still has the intended effect of making it a group assignment. This means (I think) peer reviews can be assigned, but each group member will see the file submitted on behalf of their own group. I'm not sure I can envision an assignment where this would be useful, so I would not check Group Assignment in the future. I think I just did it because your video showed it.

James
Community Champion

@Anna_Shaver ,

It sounds like you have it figured out. Making it a group assignment allows one person to turn the assignment in for the entire group. The script is to assign intra-group peer reviews so the groups must be defined somewhere, but there is no requirement that the assignment itself be a group assignment. You might want people to work together but everyone turn in their own assignments.

If it happens to be a group assignment, then the script will default to using that group for the peer review assignments. If it's not a group assignment and you have more than one group set in the course, you'll have to tell it which group set to use to assign the peer reviews.

My use case was a major group project where they turned in a single document for the entire group. They were then to provide appreciative and constructive feedback on that week's work to each person in the group. That's why I said that in the video. Sorry for the confusion. I don't plan out my videos ahead of time, just shoot them as I work through the process and sometimes that leads to unnecessary confusion.

Anna_Shaver
Community Participant

Got it. It was my fault for being in a hurry anyway. That sounds like an interesting assignment.

Steven_S
Community Champion

As a twist, I would love to be able to assign peer reviews to different student groups.  In this use case, students have individual assignments to write about one of several books.  I would like to put them in groups that wrote about the same book, and then assign their peer review to address any submission that did NOT come from their group. 

This would cause students to read about a different book than the one they chose.

mari_liljefors
Community Participant

I had experienced the same thing.  For the group assignment, and to make it a group review, I had to manually assign individual students in the group. This was really complicated and took long time.  (I even did one student assigned wrongly...)  I really hope this feature will be created.

whitmand
Community Novice

Last year, I spent two hours figuring out how to do this same approach manually.  After one year, I forgot how to do it, and I spent another hour today doing it manually again.  After a help-desk call today, I learned that you are considering this approach, which is exactly what I am doing manually.