[Peer Review] Assign Peer Reviews by Student Group

This one has been suggested before, but I'd like to suggest it again: one of the options for setting peer reviews of assignments should be "by student group"--all members of a group are automatically assigned each other's assignments for peer reviews. This would save me a lot of setup--manually setting up peer reviews currently takes about 20 minutes per class, per assignment.

Added to Theme

39 Comments
Estefania
Community Explorer

This is not exactly the same feature as I was looking for, but my suggestion for additional peer-review options was archived:

When setting up peer-reviewed assignments, it would be very useful to assign peer-reviewers automatically across groups to ensure that a person from group A is always assigned to a person from group B without having to do it manually every time (I am thinking of weekly assignments). 

The obvious use case for this would be to allow for a mentorship/critical friend relationship to be built between students who are taking the same course but are in different working groups (e.g. teacher training). In this sense, another option would be to allow for peer-review partners to be replicated for all peer-reviewed assignments, so that peer-reviewers would only need to be set up once.

mglodo
Community Explorer

A very effective pedagogy is having students work on the same assignment in group sets, but submit the assignments as individual assignments rather than group assignments. A vital tool in this process is the peer review in which students look at the progress of fellow group members both to learn and to give feedback. However, peer reviews must be assigned manually instead of randomly, since random assignment would have them peer reviewing other group with different assignment parameters. Manual assignment is labor intensive (e.g. I just did this for a class of 40 in groups of 5 for 4 assignments). It would be extremely helpful to have a peer review assignment option of assigning peer reviews on the basis of group sets.

Anna_Shaver
Community Participant

@mglodo James Jones' solution does work really well for this, though I would like to see Canvas implement it natively. I still don't consider the peer reviews in Canvas usable (due to things like usable rubrics and notification overkill—feel free to vote on these requests too!), and have gone back to doing peer reviews through small group discussions instead. 

KatjaB
Community Novice

I am writing to express my great enthusiasm about and strong support of these requests for formally / natively implementing a peer-group review process in Canvas. This would allow groups to review other groups' team assignments, similar to the current peer-review process where an individual students reviews other individual student's assignments. 

As other instructors wrote above, it takes a lot of my time as an instructor to set it up through the Discussion Board and to grade these assignments. It would also be more straight forward for student groups. 

There is documented evidence that peer-group reviews offer effective learning experiences for both those providing and receiving feedback. I hope we'll soon be able to use this Canvas feature of a peer-group review process. 

Thank you for your attention and support! 

vdumova
Community Participant

Please create a functionality that allows one group to peer review another peer group. Thank you.

BRENNANDAVIS
Community Novice

I request that Canvas recognize group assignments when assigning peer reviews. Canvas currently assigns multiple submissions from students in one group to students in another group, therefore they're reviewing the same submission two or more times. This request is not really for a "new" feature. It is a request for the peer reviews to work correctly given group assignments. It seems like a very basic request that says "our system has a baseline of quality." 

It seems to me that a way to export student responses for analysis would be an actual new feature that would be helpful. In other words, if students review an assignment using a numerical rubric, why not allow the professor to export these responses in Excel for analysis? 

Linnea_H
Community Member

My problem is the same as BrennanDavis has, but also even more extended. Observe that this is something else than what I have seen most people ask for here. I DONT really want a group to peer review another group. I rather would like it as spread out as possible.

When doing peer review in groups, my students should peer review 2 other groups. I would like Canvas to automatically assign each student 2 persons from different groups. As it is now, my students sometimes get 2 members of the same group to review, so they get confused when they see the same group twice.

Not only do I want each student to be assigned to 2 peer reviews from different groups, even though that would be a very good first step. My second wish would be that each group gets to review as many other groups as possible and to recieve peer review comments from as many different groups as possible, such that later when each group read the comments they have recieved, and when they talk about what they have learned from reading the other groups' assignments, they gather insights from as many other groups as possible.

As a small example, let's say I have the groups A through J, with students A1 A2 A3 A4, B1 B2 B3, and so on. Then I want A1 to review B1 and C1, and A2 to review D1 and E1, and A3 to review F1 and G1, and A4 to review H1 and I1, and so on. So that in the end, group A has gotten reviews from, lets say, students C4, D4, E3, F3, G2, H2, I1, J1.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme