[Assignments] Assign to by Group for Individual Assignment

This idea was submitted previously and archived (see below). I would also request the same thing. For individual assignments, I would like to be able to "Assign to" by Group. I often divide the class into groups with varying discussion assignments or assignment due dates, yet these are individual assignments. I teach large classes, so it is too much work to type in individual names repeatedly.

Assign to" Student Groups for Individual Assessment

I want to be able to create Groups based on their modification or need and assign it to that group.Currently we have teachers who have to type in a LOT of student names when it's a modified assignment. Being able to pre-create groups with those students in them and assign or exclude that group would save a lot of time.

Added to Theme

Enable Differentiated Learning at Scale Theme Status: In Development

135 Comments
Kgall1
Community Member

Yes!! This would be so helpful for differentiated instruction.

ericha
Community Novice

YES!!!! Please...this would be very helpful for all my students.

janell2
Community Novice

Yes! It would be oh so helpful in meeting the different needs/abilities of my students!

lealoo
Community Member

I was just talking to our district Canvas coordinator about this yesterday. We are desperate for this option! 

heather_jones
Community Member

""It would be so much easier to implement if there were a feature under groups that allowed you to select "Individual Submissions." Groups works beautifully without messing up our SIS integration. Can't it be changed to allow students to submit work individually, or could there be a similar pathway created that would allow us to batch assign differentiated individual assignments without opening up the pandora's box of editing sections?""

This seems an easy fix.  We can already choose to grade individually.  If they could submit individually, I think we would be golden!   Or, make sections work through grade syncing passback!  Sections work beautifully as well, but won't sync with things like PowerSchool. Pretty please!

seanasmith
Community Member

We get this question often from teachers who need to assign modified assignments to students with accommodations. Currently, if they assign a modified version to students with accommodations they then are clicking 80 plus student names for the other version to assign. So many times students with modifications are seeing two assignments (the one assigned to everyone and the modified assignment) because it takes too long to select 100 names. Modifying sections causes issues with SIS and syncing process.

Please develop an easier method to handle selecting specific students for assignments that are not group assignments. 

ericmueller
Community Participant

Agreed this would solve a lot of problems we are having. 

stephanierosema
Community Explorer

Can we please have the ability to create a group of students that an assignment can be assigned to that aren't actually working in a group. I need a cohort to do one assignment and all individually submit for an individual grade without "one submission counting for the entire group".   The only workaround is that I assign it to all the students and excuse the grade for the students that do not need to complete it but then that's confusing for students and parents because it still shows up on their todo list. 

James
Community Champion

@stephanierosema 

Instead of excusing it for the students who don't need to complete it, you could use differentiated assignments to just assign it to those who do need it. If you don't assign it to them in the first place, there is no need to excuse it, and it won't show up in their To Do list.

If your school allows you to create sections, you could create a section for the group and then assign it to that section.

More information about the options is found in the Assignments section of the Canvas Instructor Guide. Look for "How do I assign an assignment" then there are lessons for everyone, individual student, course section, and course group.

Those last three are written in the singular, but you can assign to more than one student, section, or group.

stephanierosema
Community Explorer

@James , I can't type in the names individually as that would take hours since I have 136 students. My district does not allow us to create sections so I guess they'll just all do the same assignments even though that's not what is best for kids. Everyone and every other technological resource I use has changed to help teachers in the pandemic except for Canvas, they've nothing to help us.