[Assignments] Assign to everyone except selected students

There are some assignments that go out to the majority of my students except one or two per class. It would be great to be able to assign to "everyone" and then have a button to select which students are exempt from the assignment.

Added to Theme

Enable Differentiated Learning at Scale Theme Status: In Development

166 Comments
hyim
Community Explorer

I agree that this is a critical feature, and while I don't understand the details of how the platform is coded, I also am not sure while this has to been a complicated fix.  What if rather than add an exceptions feature, the everyone feature was just tweaked to add everyone individually.  Instead of "Everyone" by default all students would appear individually.  Likewise if I clicked on "Everyone"in the menu the full list would be restored.  If I click on a section all of the users in that section would be added individually.  Then a teacher could simply go in and remove any students necessary.  Perhaps this would be an easier solution to code.  

corey_jeffers
Community Novice

It appears I'm very late to the part on this one, but I hope it is reopened eventually! This one is super important for teachers in K-12, especially at the middle and elementary levels. Do I have to rearrange sections???

sara_samples
Community Novice

Teachers have no control over our sections in our district so that is not a work around that serves a functional purpose (Corey and I are in the same district). 

corey_jeffers
Community Novice

This may or may not be true, Sara... I'll send you an email.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

krista_bono
Community Novice

This is a fantastic tool for effective differentiation!  It would cut down on so much extra work and confusion on the grading page.  My colleagues and I would use this feature so much.

shawna_guikema
Community Novice

I think this feature would be a great addition to Canvas.  Although it seems very simple to type in a few students names, it takes a lot of extra time, especially when you have many similar classes.  My colleagues and I would use this on a daily basis to differentiate our assignments.

betiana_capriol
Community Novice

Thank you, Shawna!!

Sent from my iPhone

danielle_codey
Community Novice

I think this would be an extremely beneficial feature, especially considering efforts to differentiate!

cynthia_laudadi
Community Novice

This would be very useful when students have temporary accommodations, especially due to illness, injury or other distress, and are excused from some and/or provided with alternate assignments.