[Assignments] Assign to everyone except selected students

There are some assignments that go out to the majority of my students except one or two per class. It would be great to be able to assign to "everyone" and then have a button to select which students are exempt from the assignment.

Added to Theme

Enable Differentiated Learning at Scale Theme Status: In Development

166 Comments
profesaalfeld
Community Member

Chiming in to say that this would be a very useful feature. I administer my tests online, and I need to be able to quickly unselect students who aren't present so that they can't access the test if they're not present, either physically or on Google Meet. At this point I have typed in the names of every student in my classes so I can just X them out if they're not there, but there are many better ways that I could be spending the time it takes to do that for 120 students. A checkbox option with all students where I can select all and then just unselect absent students the day of the assessment would be enormously helpful. 

chillman
Community Participant

Yes, would love this feature as it will make things so much faster for teachers.

lwelch84
Community Novice

I would like there to be a way to exclude specific students from assignments and quizzes without having to individually type everyone elses name into the "assign" box

SRothrock
Community Member

Teachers would like to have the option to add an assignment for all students Except named students. Our teachers have students with accommodations that require they be assigned different versions of an assignment (ie with a word bank instead of just open ended fill in the blank). So they often have 2 versions of an assignment but students only need one of them assigned to them. 

James
Community Champion

@SRothrock 

There is a nearly identical idea that is already being discussed: Assign to everyone except selected students

SRothrock
Community Member

I agree - our Teachers would like to have the option to add an assignment for all students Except named students. Our teachers have students with accommodations that require they be assigned different versions of an assignment (ie with a word bank instead of just open ended fill in the blank). So they often have 2 versions of an assignment but students only need one of them assigned to them. 

SRothrock
Community Member

Thanks - I added my comment on that thread.

Plowman
Community Novice

First, this is an incredibly important feature for k12 educators responsible for differentiating in their classrooms, especially for meeting SPED & 504 requirements. I can make multiple copies of an assignment, one being modified for some students, but as near as I can tell, those students would have to receive both assignments & go through that confusion in their to-do lists & calendars. They are often *exactly* the group of students we want to try to *eliminate* confusion and "clarify instructions" for!

(excluding 7 names would be *so much easier* than assigning to 130 individual names -- for each necessary assignment or test)

Second, this request thread has been open since *2015*!!! The need has not changed, and I'm assuming it is greater because of increased use of your product. PLEASE ACT ON THIS. 

Southcharlotte
Community Novice

I am beginning a unit that requires parental consent. 1 student in the class opted out. How do I publish the course to the class and just omit one student? I don't want to have to add each student to the class individually just to omit the one opt out.

An "omit" button would be nice so that you can publish to a whole class and then omit a single student.

ngodard
Community Explorer

Hoping that we can bring new awareness to this issue - it is frankly ridiculous that this is an insurmountable issue for Canvas to address. With increased use in distance/remote learning in K12 environments, we need the ability to easily differentiate who we assign content to, without clicking around a million times. Google Classroom did this easily. 

At my current school, we have needed to create entirely separate Canvas courses for SPED/ELL students who need major modifications because teachers cannot easily control what is assigned to them otherwise. Please, Canvas team, please revisit this issue.