[Peer Review] Assigning Grades for Peer Reviews

Part of participating in online coursework involves working with other students to improve drafts and engage in the learning community. When students are assigned peer reviews, let's be honest, they aren't motivated to complete it unless there is a grade attached. I would love the ability to grade peer reviews.

This could be as simple as complete/incomplete, or more complex where the completion of peer reviews was part of a grading rubric for the assignment. But it would be nice if there was something in the grade book, some academic weight given to participating in these reviews, that doesn't involve manually looking up peer reviews outside of the grade book.

Added to Theme

90 Comments
Community Participant

Is there a place where all the accepted enhancements to peer review are listed? I see peer review as a process which requires beginning to end thinking, but in these idea forums they are separate and distinct so it is hard to get a sense of where Instructure is going.

For me peer review will be useful when:

1. students can submit a paper
  2. the paper is distributed to peers
  3. the student receives peer papers to review
  4. the student reviews peers and gives a score, preferably in speed grader with a rubric and required comments
  5. The student's paper is reviewed by peers and reviews scores
  6. The student gets a score for doing the peer reviews
  7. The student gets a score that is the average of the peer scores received

The process should be anonymous; some kind of iteration and resubmit would be good; allowing the process to be asynchronous without specific due dates is critical for me, though I understand it will be a while before individual paths through content catches on.

There are many ideas related to peer review out there, see: Canvas Feature Ideas

Not all the ideas are good, and all ideas take time and resources, so I understand that you won't undertake them all, but I would like a more macro view of where you are going with peer review than these individual "ideas" provide.

Thank you for your consideration.

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

10618071​, I just sent you a follow-up email. I would love to chat "big picture" with you, especially regarding items 6 and 7 on your list. Let me know if you don't see that email!

thatcher_bohrma
Community Participant

I have 3 instructors taking the plunge into peer review in their discussions and they were surprised that it required a workaround to grade the reviews. Here's hoping it's implemented asap. Thanks.

laraine_herring
Community Novice

Please oh please oh please implement this. Peer reviews are far more cumbersome than I thought they would be because:

1) I cannot assign a due date for the peer review. It defaults to the date the actual work was due, causing lots of student confusion. I have had to do a work-around of adding an event so at least it shows up in their to do feed.

2) I cannot grade the peer reviews easily. There's not a single screen where I can see both the student's exercise and their peer review for another student. The gradebook shows me the student exercise and the peer review someone did FOR them, but not the one they actually did.

The way I had hoped to use this is in discussion boards. Students complete a writing exercise due at a certain day. To receive full credit for the board, they are also required to provide 1 peer review. I would like to be able to set the peer review deadline separately from the exercise due date, and I would like to be able to grade exercise & review in the same screen and not flip back and forth and have to keep a manual list of whether or not the peer review was up to standard.

If we don't assign points to peer reviews, students will simply not do them.

Thank you!

kkauffma
Community Novice

I agree. My vote is there needs to be a way to view Peer Reviews in grades. On the most basic level, I need to hunt around in student grades to view the comment within the first student's post. On a more advanced level, I can see whether students commented through Peer Reviews, but it's frustrating for me to do so much clicking to identify whether students are meeting minimum requirements or not. Please afford us the opportunity to save some time here.

emcculloch
Community Novice

Yes, this is exactly what we need. Thank you Jared Chapman.

sherry_rind
Community Novice

That's what I've been doing. Items to be reviewed are posted in discussion boards. I don't even employ the Canvas peer review feature; I consider it useless.

glenda_robertso
Community Novice

Adding my two cents of agreement to this thread.  There needs to be a way to grade the students on the completion and quality of their peer review.  Adding incentives to why they should take the time to conduct a peer review is important.  The ability to reward those who do a great job by providing thoughtful comments is also important.

bispojr
Community Novice

Hi, 10618071​,

I agree with you. The whole process (7 steps) that you mentioned is exactly what I think about peer reviewing. Specially, the step 7. It seems this step is not possible to do in Canvas today automatically. Am I right?

Community Participant

Yes  @bispojr , that is right. Hopefully we can do that soon.