[Peer Review] Assigning Grades for Peer Reviews

Part of participating in online coursework involves working with other students to improve drafts and engage in the learning community. When students are assigned peer reviews, let's be honest, they aren't motivated to complete it unless there is a grade attached. I would love the ability to grade peer reviews.

This could be as simple as complete/incomplete, or more complex where the completion of peer reviews was part of a grading rubric for the assignment. But it would be nice if there was something in the grade book, some academic weight given to participating in these reviews, that doesn't involve manually looking up peer reviews outside of the grade book.

Added to Theme

90 Comments
Anna_Shaver
Community Participant

Just checking in on this thread. I stopped using Peer Review features three years ago and switched to a Discussion model because it wasn't possible to assign deadlines for the reviews, to grade the review process, or to automatically assign in-group reviews. My students have complained about the cumbersome process of uploading files to the discussions, so I thought I'd check back to see if anything had been changed. Any updates, @allison@instructure.com ? Looks like I'll have to keep using Discussions for awhile—it fits all the requirements, even if it annoys the students. If anyone else is in the same boat, here are some instructions I wrote for my students on using the Discussions process:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TEcL64G4lEaLA0Ll_xd0MXWC2hSjtl8YupMQxv3qIsI/pub?embedded=true 

Feel free to use or adapt if it's helpful.

daniel_clark
Community Member

Thanks. Don't know why they don't address something so fundamental.

Daniel H. Clark, Ph.D.

Professor of English

Professional Development Coordinator

Moreno Valley College

951-571-6183

stucker
Community Explorer

This is absolutely needed. Until then, I am forced to use TI because they have the grading feature (and you can personalize and create common error buttons with assignments/links for worksheets). I love Canvas--and am happy we adopted it here at Mines, but we need this!!!

amcc
Community Member
kxcurran
Community Explorer

It would be amazing if we could grade peer reviews right from the feedback page!

Use the dropdown to change the review and add a button or simplified grading button to Incomplete/Complete or a box for the points applied to the reviewer

PLEASE! We NEED something to actually work. Not just a work around!

I recently implemented PRs not knowing how much of a hassle they would be. I had to create 5 PR assignments with points to each of them. I made them post a picture of the completion notification, but I have to go through the Peer reviews on another page entirely to confirm they actually did the work! The assignments themselves are also hard to review since you can only view the notifications of one person's reviews, not what they said for all of them on one page.

a fabulous drawing of a button next to the rubric dropdown in the assignment

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

This need just surfaced again at my university. The teacher wants to motivate the students to do the peer reviews and to treat them as a substantive assignment.

stucker
Community Explorer

This was two years ago. Any sense that this will be remedied (it is pedagogically crucial for any writing class or workshop, after all) because until then I have to use TI and migrate grades

kristen_harris
Community Explorer

I'm surprised there isn't a way to hold peer reviewers accountable with a grade and deadline for their reviews. I think Turnitin has had that feature since 2005 or earlier. I'd love to see this added. 

bwsavage
Community Novice

First comment for 2019 on this thread:

I'm teaching a brand new class on Business Presentation Skills.  A key part of the curriculum (and the scalability of the class both in-person and online) is peer review of recorded presentations.  The rubric and Peer Review features have worked great, but I was a bit baffled as to how to provide points for the actual peer reviews.  Found this thread and realized it isn't currently supported!  

This seems like a no-brainer, although I can see how the implementation may be tricky from a backend POV.  In addition to adding a scoring component, I'd also add that "finding" the peer review assignment is very clunky and non-intuitive.  Right now, the only place we seemed to be able to get to it was through the "To-Do" menu on the main page.  It seems like it should be visible off of the actual assignment itself and it wasn't.

Please, please consider this as a priority!  

Shout out to  @josh5  from the post-acquisition Mozy/Decho days!  ;0

Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

I have a teacher using the Peer Review tool and she is very disappointed that she, as the teacher, cannot add her own comment / feedback to the submission.