[Peer Review] Assigning Grades for Peer Reviews

Part of participating in online coursework involves working with other students to improve drafts and engage in the learning community. When students are assigned peer reviews, let's be honest, they aren't motivated to complete it unless there is a grade attached. I would love the ability to grade peer reviews.

This could be as simple as complete/incomplete, or more complex where the completion of peer reviews was part of a grading rubric for the assignment. But it would be nice if there was something in the grade book, some academic weight given to participating in these reviews, that doesn't involve manually looking up peer reviews outside of the grade book.

Added to Theme

90 Comments
christie_kittle
Community Participant

I hope Canvas reconsiders adding this as a feature. Seems simple enough and it is requested a lot by faculty.

stucker
Community Explorer

This is critical and is where students actually learn the most in peer review. If this doesn't exist, why would we even bother using it and not some other plugin like LTI (I actually don't use the Canvas Peer Review feature because of this inability to give scores and directed feedback on Peer review comments from students.

richardsonji
Community Participant

So frustrating that this idea has been discussed and obviously desired by many since 2015, and still nothing has happened with it.

Peer review is an important part of the learning process. Not only do students learn how to receive constructive criticism, but students also learn how to give constructive criticism. But as was stated years ago, if there are no teeth in requiring the review, many students won't do it. And if the instructor does create a separate assignment, with 200 students, that can take a lot of time to track who has completed the reviews.

Is there a way to get this discussion going again? Is this something that will be in the works any time soon?

jenseng1
Community Explorer

As an instructional designer, I want to encourage our faculty to the use peer review, but it falls flat when there is no good way to enforce (grade) peer reviews. We are still waiting for this and still want it!

trujillojo
Community Member

This is a good idea. Take my 5 stars 

vdumova
Community Participant

Please add this functionality. I echo @jenseng1 's comment.

TimSweeney
Community Member

Okay, this really seems like a no-brainer. Why has Canvas not added this yet?!

ortegao1
Community Explorer

How has this not been implemented yet? This discussion started in *2015*, was voted on, and reached the required 100 votes to get implemented. What happened?

This is just further proof that Canvas is an outdated tool.

paulamiranda
Community Participant

Would like to add a comment here to keep this long-standing feature idea/conversation going. While I appreciate what is currently available, there are still elements of the Peer Review tool that discourage our instructors from using it, specifically those who teach large enrollment courses. Being unable to grade the reviewer as part of the one assignment/process, specifically, requires workarounds that make this an even more complex, labor-intensive process for instructors and students, which is a shame because large courses could benefit the most from peer reviews as a pedagogical strategy. 

As a community member noted in this comment dating back to 2015, peer reviews are a multi-layered process that should be considered from beginning to end, and I hope the Canvas Product team bundles this request with the others about peer review as part of a holistic approach to improving/extending the usefulness of this tool. The comment also lists requirements that are similar to ours, which would bring a lot of value to these large courses where instructors are actually trying to use high-impact practices to help students learn.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme