Assignment Enhancements: Make rubrics more accessible to student view

0 Likes

We use the rubrics Canvas assignment rubrics quite extensively in our course. We use the "leave open feedback" option so TAs can use quantitative grading instructions and provide specific, positive, and constructive feedback for each line item on the rubric.

From our perspective (Instructor view), this is great! We can see the whole rubric and everything makes sense and it's easy to see how the rubric aligns with the post-lab instructions.

However, this is absolutely not the case for student view! It is easy-to-overlook the rubric and tedious to read it for students! They have to hit a drop-down menu just to see the rubric and then click on each individual line item to see them one at a time. Can you make it so students see the same (or similar) rubric view that instructors get?

My current workaround is to just screenshot the instructor rubric and attach it to the assignment instructions.

4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Thanks for sharing this feedback about the student experience, @jmohr1 . Could you elaborate on the workflow students are following to view their rubrics? Is this request specific to Canvas Student? Through the browser, students can view rubrics that are attached to assignments without needing to click, as detailed in How do I view the rubric for my assignment? ("Assignment rubrics are shown below the assignment instructions").

Students do need to click Show Rubric for discussions, and we have two existing requests for enhancement:

Show Discussion Board Rubrics on the App 

Display Discussion Rubrics by Default 

When viewing a graded (completed) rubric as a student through a browser, this is how a typical rubric might display (by clicking on the rubric icon in the student's Grades tab):

rubric for student.png

We look forward to hearing from you.

jmohr1
Community Explorer
Author

Hi @Stef_retired,

This is specific to the student assignments rubrics. We currently do not use Canvas discussion boards because of FERPA-compliance issues with multi-section courses.

The student workflow for completing an assignment is they:

1. Open the Assignment.
  2. Read the assignment instructions.
  3. Check the rubric and criterion descriptions.

We align the assignment instructions and rubric criteria descriptions so that students know what will be assessed, and then this alignment is converted into a grading scheme for our TAs.

The problem is that it is tedious for students to view criterion descriptions. Here is what it looks like to a student:

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 11.50.00 AM.png

They have to click "view rubric" to see the rubric. Then they have to click "view longer description" on each rubric category to see the description.

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 11.14.51 AM.png

So they have to open up however many different criterion descriptions we have and then copy-them into another document so they can read them. As opposed to our instructor view which looks like this:

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 11.09.00 AM.png

Note that part of our problem comes from these rubric settings:

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 11.53.57 AM.png

Since we use the "free form comments" to give specific feedback - which means the student preview of the rubric is particularly uninformative.

I hope that clarifies this issue.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Thanks for the clarification, @jmohr1 . The screenshot is very helpful, as it tells us that your school has enabled Assignment Enhancements. As you note, when Assignment Enhancements is turned on, students need to click a View Rubric button in order to see the rubric—and will then need to click on "view longer description" to read the details for each criterion (as depicted in  How do I view the rubric for an assignment in a co... ).

We'll move this forward as a request for an enhancement to the Assignment Enhancements design; I've edited the title to reflect that.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.