Assignment Groups and the Gradebook

0 Likes
(2)

I have a group of assignments that are not graded. The individual assignments don't show up in the gradebook, but the assignment group does. There will NEVER be a grade for anything in this group, because none of the assignments is graded. I would like to remove this assignment group from the gradebook, but it appears that this is not possible.

It would be nice to have the ability to remove an assignment group total (not the assignments themselves) from the gradebook, particularly if it isn't a weighted group. I personally do not need to have the total of the grouped assignments visible to me. I only look at the absolute total of all the assignments, irrespective of group. This would be a great option.

I find the lack of flexibility in the gradebook display frustrating. I'd love a different, easier environment to re-arrange items in the gradebook, too. the horizontal drag across the screen is very difficult from a usability perspective. 

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

4 Comments
rmartini
Community Participant

My campus is still relatively new to Canvas and I frequently get questions about how to hide these assignment group total columns. Your post makes a great point about assignment groups that either aren't graded or contribute to 0% of the final grade in a weighted gradebook--it's creating extra content to view within Canvas and creates even more columns in the downloaded CSV (which has been another pain point for the instructors I work with). More often than not, these columns have been confusing (and frustrating) for instructors and students. It'd be great if we had an ability to toggle these columns on/off for instructors and students!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @lmoline and @rmartini -

I wonder if the new Gradebook Filter option will help you! (This may not yet be available in Beta.)

Canvas Deploy Notes (2022-03-02) 

How do I access my Canvas Sandbox Beta environment? 

rmartini
Community Participant

@KristinL - Thanks for sharing the links to this! I don't see the new Gradebook Filter options available in my beta instance yet but I will be sure to check it out. I don't think these filtering options will fully address what I'm interested in seeing, but I'll try testing that out before providing further feedback. I'll also follow along with what's posted in the Gradebook Filters Feature User Groups for more information.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Because of the ongoing development of the filtering features, this Idea is being archived. To provide feedback, join and then follow the discussions occurring in the Gradebook Filters Feature User Group