Assignment Points

0 Likes

When selecting "do not count this to final grade" I would suggest allowing Module Assignment title to be free of point values.  Even if I display grade as "complete/incomplete" it states 0 points below the titles.  Students will ask if they need to do it.  I suggest allowing the option of disabling or making it blank.

It also shows the assignment in Speed Grader even though I selected not to be count towards final grade.

3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@BillyB 

When an instructor selects "Do not count this assignment toward the final grade" in the assignment settings, the assignment is still a graded assignment, and that's why the assignment appears in SpeedGrader. Many instructors like to use this setting so that they can provide students with online feedback on a first draft without requiring the draft assignment to be part of the course grade.

achan930
Community Novice

I really do not need to assign points to the assignment, but I want to assign letter grades or mark the assignment as complete/incomplete. If students need to see the points, I can simply choose to display grade as points. Sometimes, there are small tasks I want students to complete just to get them ready for the next class. I would include those as assignments just to let students know that the tasks will be a part of the final grade. Assigning points on Canvas will make students evaluate the importance of the tasks, and some students will decide not to do them because the tasks do not carry many points. The situation can be alleviated if "Points Possible" can be made optional. I have been hoping to get rid of this feature from Day 1. Thank you. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.