Assignment subgroups

0 Likes
(1)

I would like to see assignment subgroups. This would be mostly for organization. I am a TA for a laboratory class and we usually have several types of assignments associated with each lab: some pre-lab quizzes, virtual labs, and a lab report. It would be helpful visually to be able to organize this within a lab assignment subgroup called lab 1, lab 2, etc.

Another reason this would be helpful is that I could keep my lab names more general. This would help if we add, remove, or change the order of the labs we do. I currently title my lab assignments some thing like "Lab 5 Report: ECG". If I changed this so it's now the 6th lab, I need to change everything with "lab 5" in the title so it's now lab 6. If there were assignment subgroups, I could keep the name more generic like Lab Report: ECG. Since it would appear under the lab 5 subgroup, it would still be clear to students how this lab fits into the progression of the course.

Tags (2)
4 Comments
nathanatkinson
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

MichaelMoonAPRN
Community Member
  • Within the health professions program, we require a 75% test average to pass courses.
  • In addition we have other assignments that contribute to the course grade.
  • Canvas needs the ability to have a total column for selected groups of assignments such as examinations, quizzes, other testing rather than having to lump everything into one testing group.
  • This is in addition to the total column for all of the groups when calculating the final grade.
  • For example if I had three four groups
    • Exams
    • Quizzes
    • ATI Testing
    • Written Assignments
    • I would like the ability to have a total column for exams, quizzes, and ATI testing that would allow me to determine if the students had a 75% testing average
    • I would also like the total column for all of the groups so I could see the overall course grade.

Respectfully submitted
Michael D. Moon PhD, RN, CNS-CC, CEN, FAEN
Professor

Instructor User

francet
Community Member

I would greatly appreciate this capability.  We have semester course; I'd like to be able to put all of the assignments from Q1 into a folder once it has finished. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.