[Course Import/Export] Bulk Downloading Student Submissions in Concluded Courses

Once a course is concluded, I am limited in downloading student assignments as samples for reports. In a live course, I can export all submissions of an assignment by locating the assignment title and selecting "Download Submissions" This provides a zip folder of all the student submissions. Once a course is concluded, I can follow the same behavior; however, the zip folder is empty. The only way I can grab student submissions in a concluded course is by manually downloading individual student submissions via SpeedGrader. 

We need the functionality to download all student submissions in a concluded course using the "Download Submissions" option in Grades. Is this possible?

Added to Theme

8 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

Jeff_F
Community Champion

@mcordes1  - I just followed the process to download submissions from a concluded course I taught in 2019.  The resulting zip folder was not empty.  

Suggestions: perhaps check the assignment type to ensure it calls for a file submission? Also, if it does and you can see the files uploaded to the assignment via the Speedgrader, I suggest opening a support ticket.

mcordes1
Community Participant

Interesting, @Jeff_F. I went into two different concluded courses - one in which I was enrolled just as a Teacher and 1 that I was enrolled in just as a Designer and neither concluded course provided me with content in the zip folder. (One course did provide me with the test student's submission on an assignment, but that behavior is expected since the test student isn't concluded.)

The assignment type calls for files and all the files are in SpeedGrader. The issue is definitely just the behavior of the Download Submission button. 

It is good to know that this is working for your instance of Canvas, though! Super good news and gives me hope! 

Thank you! 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @mcordes1 -

I hope you are doing well! Were you able to explore this idea a little further after @Jeff_F shared about what he experiences with the download assignments option? Have you worked with Support regarding yours?

If you could update the Community, that'd be great! Thank you!

mcordes1
Community Participant

Hi @KristinL - 

Unfortunately, @Jeff_F 's suggestions did not work. All assignments at my university with the exception of very few require file uploads. I am not sure what the configuration of faculty roles or concluding courses looks like at Jeff's institution; however, I am assuming that this might be the issue. We truly conclude courses not just inactivate the courses. Furthermore, we use BluePrints with lock-down features. Faculty roles are limited when interacting with the course material. All of this might make comparisons a little more difficult even while using the same action of concluding courses. 

All of this to say, using the download feature in past concluded courses yields an empty zip folder for our institution even though the assignments are set to require a file upload and the zip folder is full when the course is live. 

@KristinL - does that help? 

Meg

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

Hi @mcordes1 - Thank you for the update!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme