[Assignments] Category cap for weighted categories

This may be an idea somewhere but I am not seeing one currently.  This feature request/idea is for there to be the ability to put a 100% cap on category weights.  For example, if you provide extra credit within a category, that category can then become higher than 100% and then ultimately helps other categories when the final grade is computed.  It would be nice if you could cap a category so it could not get higher than 100% even with extra credit or anything that would allow a student to score above 100%.  

Use case: An instructor allows students to make up lost points in participation by doing some sort of extra credit.  They are only able to make up their lost participation points, not extra credit for the entire course.  Currently, Canvas allows the students to earn higher than 100% in participation (or any category) and those extra points help the other categories which was not the goal.  I know you can go in and do all the math to figure out what each student can earn but this puts all the work on the instructor.  Having a cap of 100% would fix all of this.

-Nick

Added to Theme

Improve Gradebook settings options Theme Status: Identified

4 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@nwilson7 -

I think that would be a good idea to have that as an option (as you stated).  Currently, I don't mind having the 100% cap exceeded.  For me I have found that it helps motivate students  to do a little better in certain areas of the course.  However, having the ability to cap a group at 100% would be nice as well.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme