[Assignments] Resubmission Date on Assignment

Problem statement:

Students submit an assignment. It's graded and returned. The instructor then allows the student to resubmit, but the original date remains as the due date. The student then doesn't know when to submit the new submission and misses the deadline.

Proposed solution:

On the resubmission have a due date.

User role(s):

instructor

Added to Theme

8 Comments
jw2546
Community Contributor

Until they get to this, a workaround would be to use the +Add button under Assign To in the assignment details and then put a differentiated due date for that student.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @hwalter1 -

When an assignment is Reassigned, the original due date remains associated with the assignment. Students are able to see that in the Assignment Details and on their To Do List. When the student goes to the Submission Details, there is not a due date listed, only the submission date and the instructor's feedback. 

Where in the assignment submission, reassign, and re-submit (or try again) workflow are you noticing the dates need to be added? I look forward to collaborating!

hwalter1
Community Participant

When you reassign the assignment, it would be great if you could say due date. 

E.g. I assign a report, I give a due date of Oct 1. They submit I grade. I ask them to revise. But the due date is now Oct 10. But they still see Oct 1. 

I would like this to be able to say Oct 10, if that makes sense. 

But I don't want to change the original date in case there's a late report, or when I import to a new semester. 

hwalter1
Community Participant

@KristinL Also, since I was just regrading one of these resubmissions something else to consider.. 

Because you don't have a reset or change of submission date every submission then comes in as late. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

Hi @hwalter1 - Thank you for clarifying! All of this makes sense. This thread is now Open. 🙂

OrgishN
Community Explorer

I also like this idea (or something similar). This could also be used as "checkpoints" for a larger project. That way all iterations of the work would be visible in Speedgrader but students could know that each checkpoint has different due date/requirement, etc.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme