Assignments: Support upload of .m files and view in Speedgrader

0 Likes
(1)

(requesting as Canvas admin in our instance)

Currently Canvas assignments does not support the upload of .m files or display in Speedgrader which causes issues when students try to submit .m files and when trying to view the files in Speedgrader.  

Canvas often reports that it cannot open the .m files in the online viewer in SpeedGrader, but sometimes it allows them to open. Our faculty have a current workaround but that involves downloading hundreds of student submissions. 

6 Comments
James
Community Champion

What is a .m file?

If you're teaching programming, it might be a class file. If you're teaching mathematics, it might be a Mathematica file, Maple file, or Matlab file. The Maple version is a binary file.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@thackead 

James asked the same question I was about to ask: which .m file are you hoping to have supported and which application is associated with the .m files in question? My Google search brought this up: https://www.reviversoft.com/file-extensions/m , and I note this section in particular:

Launch a .m file, or any other file on your PC, by double-clicking it. If your file associations are set up correctly, the application that's meant to open your .m file will open it. It's possible you may need to download or purchase the correct application. It's also possible that you have the correct application on your PC, but .m files aren't yet associated with it. In this case, when you try to open a .m file, you can tell Windows which application is the correct one for that file. From then on, opening a  .m file will open the correct application.

Thanks for providing clarification and details.

thackead
Community Participant

From our faculty: 

Yes, .m files, .mat files, and .mlx files are all Matlab file types. I expect students to submit each of these file types.

.m files are plain ASCII text files with no formatting
.mat files are binary files with a proprietary Matlab format
.mlx files are also proprietary Matlab format files that are mostly ASCII text with some special formatting embedded in the file

Oddly enough, Canvas doesn’t seem to have any problem with the .mlx files. I certainly don’t expect the Canvas file viewer in Speed Grader to display the .mlx or the .mat files, but I want students to submit them as part of their solution.

Two problems:

1) Students cannot upload the file itself.

2) Sometimes Speedgrader can open the file; sometimes it cannot. 

thackead
Community Participant

From the case opened with Canvas help:

Subject
Canvas Support: Re: Comments added to Incident INC0502111 ( I submitted a Canvas question through the Canvas page, but I did not get an answer that... ) - Case #07380858 []

Hello Steve!

Thanks for contacting Canvas Support!

Unfortunately .m file types are not currently supported in Canvas. I would suggest adding that feature request to our Idea Page for future consideration as seen HERE.

If you have any other further Canvas questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us or check out our Canvas Guides!

Thanks and have a great day!

Josh Z.
Canvas Support
Support@instructure.com
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@thackead 

Thanks for this update. Since .m files in question are a Matlab file type, we wonder if you've looked into the solution they provide: Using Matlab Grader for Assignments Grading in the Canvas LMS . 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived