[Assignments] Assignments within weighted groups treated with equal value regardless of points

Please excuse the verbose title.

Our faculty want the option to have assignments within an assignment group to be given the same weight even if they are graded on different point values.

For example:

Assignment Group = Homework  25% of final grade

Homework 1 10 pts

Homework 2 15 pts

Homework 3 10 pts

etc.

Currently, the homework #2 which is worth 15 points will have a larger influence over the grade than homeworks 1 or 3. We can encourage faculty to grade all assignments within a group on the same point-value scale, but there are 3,000 of them and four of us. Additionally, our previous LMS, Blackboard, allowed the user to opt to weigh all of the assignments WITHIN a group equally. Faculty are very upset by this lack in functionality ESPECIALLY when they become aware of the miscalculation right before final grades are due.

Thanks,

-Lea

Added to Theme

Provide more flexible grading options Theme Status: Identified

80 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@mgill ​, there's hope that the ability to set a point value on a quiz and have the point values for the individual questions be calculated automatically will be part of the Modern Quizzing Engine​ overhaul, per Deactivated user​'s comment on this now-archived feature idea:

mgill
Community Novice

Great. that would be a good start.

lse224
Community Champion

I'm really surprised that this hasn't had more traction given the number of similar feature requests. If it goes to consideration it seems that they will look at issues bigger than this (i.e. looking at the similar feature requests you so diligently compiled). It's just so frustrating because it was a feature we had with our previous LMS and just seems like a senseless lack of functionality. Let's keep promoting this!

adam_st_jean
Community Novice

Agreed.  We just switched from blackboard and it had this feature.  I will not use the grade book in Canvas, except to report individual assignment grades to students, until is an option. Otherwise, it is too confusing for them.

lse224
Community Champion

We hear a lot that they love SpeedGrader but don't like the gradebook. This is one of the reasons why.

pasleylj
Community Novice

I like this idea as an option, but I personally like and use the current system.  However, teachers should have maximum flexibility. 

lse224
Community Champion

Exactly! It's about the *option* not a mandate for faculty to change. We still need 30 more votes, so please tell your colleagues.

Thanks!

-Lea

Community Explorer

Setting the value of the assignment independent of the points would seem to help. An alternative would be something like the following:

Assignment Group = Homework  25% of final grade ( [_] click to weigh all assignments equally in this group-adjust below)

Homework 1  out of 10 pts worth 25% of this group

Homework 2 out of 15 pts worth 25% of this group

Homework 3 out of 10 pts worth 25% of this group

Homework 4 out of 75 pts worth 25% of this group

lse224
Community Champion

In our former system they used the terms "equally" and "proportionately".
Creating Weighted Grade Columns (in Blackboard)

kona
Community Champion

I'm not opposed to this, BUT (and this is a big but Smiley Wink) only if it was an OPTION. I use weighted grading and do NOT want assignments treated equally within each assignment group. If I did, then I'd make them worth the same number of points. That's just my philosophy, but it would really be annoying if this feature was implemented without the option.