Associate 2 blueprint courses to 1 child course

I would like to have two blueprint courses associated with one child course.  For example, I have a blueprint course with all of my common pages for all my courses and that works great, but each course uses a OER different textbook.  I would like a blueprint course for each of our OER textbooks' content pages.  Then I can associate the OER blueprint with each applicable course.

8 Comments
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @anne_marenco ...

While your idea is being reviewed, do you use Canvas Commons at your school?  One idea I thought of when reading your Feature Idea was to have one blueprint course (the one with all your common pages) and then create separate courses or separate modules (depending on how the OER textbook content is set up) that could then be shared to Canvas Commons (only viewable by people at your school).  So, you would first use blueprint courses to sync to individual courses...then use the OER textbook content in Canvas Commons to bring in the rest of the course content.  I've not tested this myself, but in theory, it would seem to work...as a potential work-around for the time being?  You might want to give it a shot in your school's "test" environment of Canvas:

anne_marenco
Community Participant

Chris, thanks for the suggestion.  We will give this a try.  Anne

anne_marenco
Community Participant

Hi Chris, I'm investigating the Commons solution.  If I export the OER textbook pages to Commons and then I want to update something at some point, I have to import that page to a Canvas "blueprint type" holding shell and then fix it and then send it back to commons and then import it into the live shell, yes?  This is more work than just copying them from some holding "shell."  This is why Blueprint would be great, I just go into the Blueprint, make the update and sync.  BUt thank you for the idea.  

Anne

mariana_branda
Community Novice

I tried to vote up this idea but I'm not given the option to do it.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@mariana_branda  Welcome to the Canvas Community! The idea has been maintained in Moderating status to give Anne and Chris the opportunity to discuss an alternative solution. It's now open for voting.

If you'd like to know more about how new ideas are facilitated, please read through How do I create a new feature idea in the Canvas Community?

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@anne_marenco ...

I *think* your workflow is correct?  Commons does allow an "update once, push out to many" scenario, and you can learn more about that by checking out these Guides:

RobDitto
Community Champion

@anne_marenco  if you haven't already, also consider voting or commenting on this feature idea which might be thought of as including yours:

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.