[Discussions] Attach multiple files to a discussion reply

Currently, Canvas allows only one file to be attached to a discussion reply. We often use discussion boards as way for students to share and comment on each other's work. Having the ability to share more than one file would be valuable. Thanks.
13 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. March 2, 2016 - Wed. June 1, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

cfelton
Community Novice

Similarly, I would like students to be able to submit multiple files for a Turnitin assignment. We have students do two article critiques for one assignment and even though we tell them to put it all in one document, we sometimes have students who put them in separate documents. In the grading area, this shows up as separate submissions, which makes grading difficult.

cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey folks,

This isn't something we're going to be able to do in the near future. We understand the convenience that this could provide, but it's outside of the scope of what we can reasonably accomplish at the moment.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
megan_ash
Community Novice

I am hoping that Canvas might revisit the possibility of attaching more than one file to a discussion forum post at a time. 

The free LMS that our organization previously used allowed multiple attachments in a post, and the instructors and I were a bit disappointed to learn that this option didn't exist in Canvas.

Perhaps another request in this forum will highlight this issue once again and provide additional motivation for a change!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@megan_ash , it's not necessary to submit another request, inasmuch as this one remains open for voting and in Product Radar status. We will will provide updates here as they become available, so please "follow" the idea to receive notifications on it.

joseph_sorell
Community Novice

In my writing studios, we discuss documents students are working on. We do that each week in discussions. At the moment, I have to ask students to store the documents in their Google Drive and post a link in their comments. I found it odd that they can attach images and videos (which are typically larger), but can't attach a text file.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

angela_owarzani
Community Novice

I am surprised that this has not been done yet -- from 3 years ago.  It is essential that students be able to add more that one file of the same type! 

cuddies
Community Member

I'd like to see this moved back to the radar stage - this is something that is becoming increasingly problematic as students cannot post two files to the discussion board.