Auto Save Rubrics or Give Save Warning

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Several times, when grading with a rubric, I find that I have navigated away from the rubric without saving the marks. Is it possible to add a warning that the rubric markings have not been saved when I attempt to navigate away? I believe that sometimes this happens because I added comments at the bottom of the grading page, and only hit that "Submit" button, but not the Save button for the rubric. Perhaps that Submit button could take care of both the rubric and the comments? 

86 Comments
scott_daniel
Community Novice

Am struggling with my marking load and just lost an hour's work cause this obvious feature hasn't been included. Canvas, please act on this. It's infuriating

mdudek
Community Novice

Yes here to voice my concern that the design of the rubric interface is poor.  I have lost way to much input due to the location of save buttons and the number of time I must save.  

susanthomas1
Community Novice

Over a year after I seconded this post, I am here again, even after being very careful, having to re-do work multiple times in a grading session. I can see that there is now an auto-save feature for page drafts--WHY NOT RUBRICS?

wboswell
Community Participant

Yes! I agree here. There needs to be a notification when you move away from the screen without saving a rubric - or an auto save of rubric!

MKaplowitz
Community Member

This has happened a few times to me now. I am clicking boxes in a rubric for an assignment, and then I accidentally hit j or k on my keyboard and advance to the next student paper. When I return to the first one, all the boxes that I clicked are blank and I have to start over. The rubric should remember what I have clicked so that I am not starting from scratch. It might make sense to keep the save button or to change it to "Calculate Grade" or something similar to close the rubric, but I don't like losing my work.

fmccown
Community Participant

I have found few things in life more frustrating than losing my rubric.  Rubrics require a lot of mental focus to create. Once I had worked 20 minutes on my rubric when I saw a typo in my assignment. I edited the assignment, saved my work, and then saw my rubric had disappeared. I literally punched the wall when I realized what happened. Ouch!

fmccown
Community Participant

I teach software development and have worked as a software developer. This isn't a difficult feature to implement. In fact, the companies I have worked for would never roll out a feature that routinely caused users to lose their work. If we had, we would have prioritized a fix before rolling out any new features. I'm a little surprised Canvas has been made aware of this issue for well over a year and still not pushed out a fix.

frizzcurl
Community Novice

I have been frustrated about this for years and it is beyond past the time that Canvas implements some kind of auto-save system for comments typed into the rubrics. Why has this not been addressed yet??!?!?!?!?

NicLSim
Community Explorer

@Stef_retired Will this be put into implementation anytime soon? Do we have any updates regarding this?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@NicLSim We do not have an update to share on this idea at this time.