Auto Save Rubrics or Give Save Warning

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Several times, when grading with a rubric, I find that I have navigated away from the rubric without saving the marks. Is it possible to add a warning that the rubric markings have not been saved when I attempt to navigate away? I believe that sometimes this happens because I added comments at the bottom of the grading page, and only hit that "Submit" button, but not the Save button for the rubric. Perhaps that Submit button could take care of both the rubric and the comments? 

86 Comments
dadmiraal
Community Member

This should absolutely be fixed.  Provide an autosave option for the rubric in speedgrader so that when the user navigates to the next page the current page is automatically saved.  Also add a discard option in case the grader wants to revert to previous comments.

mdudek
Community Novice

YEAH I am not a UX Designer but this seems like an easy fix to me.  

I know the CANVAS crew has a lot to deal with and as frustrating as this glitch in the grading matrix is I appreciate your efforts.

mstpierre
Community Explorer

I echo all of these statements; this is so frustrating and has happened 5 times today alone.  Esp. b/c if you  hit the N or P key it automatically changes pages.  So much time lost, and it makes it so hard to give individual comments to only have them all disappear.  Please fix this! The comments are auto saved - why can't the rubric comments be autosaved? 

kyh802
Community Explorer

I very very much agree with this, and would add as well that we ought to be able to save comments and marks in rubrics before the students are given access to the grades (I know about hiding grades, but I want students to be able to have the grade once I've marked the assignment). That is, I'm not always finished marking when I need to save what I've done (e.g. I need to step away to answer the door, or I need to answer an urgent email that just arrived, etc.), and it's frustrating to not be able to save without the assignment being considered fully graded.

burford_furman
Community Explorer

Yup, this loss of comments entered in a rubric and all the scores when I first pressed 'Submit' to submit a comment on the Assignment *before* pressing Save for the rubric itself also happenned to me. Please fix this! The first order of business for a user interface is to RETAIN DATA that has been entered. Please build this into *all* Canvas pages where the possibility exists to lose significant amounts of data by an inadvertent click, or at least add a notification that loss of entered data is about to occur and give an option to go back and save.

kyh802
Community Explorer

I'm back to say I just lost a bunch of feedback again because of this issue, and I am on the brink of tears about it. How is this still an issue? Why hasn't it been fixed? Why on earth wouldn't everything in the rubric save when you hit "submit"? How are we supposed to intuit that the "submit" is only for the comments, and not for the grade and rubric and rubric comments? Please, for the love of mud, MAKE THIS FIX HAPPEN!

kyh802
Community Explorer

I could scream. It happened again, this time because an overly sensitive touchpad navigated me away from this. @Stef_retired, I am tempted to repeatedly come back, every time it happens, until something changes. It's outrageous that this hasn't been fixed--being able to get feedback to students strikes me as being mighty, mighty important. (I know it's not you're fault, and you're doing the best you can to help us out, but you're the only person from Canvas that seems to see these and who could possibly pass this message on to the people who can make it happen.)

holifiel
Community Novice

At least I'm experiencing some sense of solidarity by reading these comments. I just spent half an hour writing detailed comments into a rubric, then accidentally tapped one of the side buttons on my mouse - all of them gone. D2L, which we used until a couple of years ago, didn't have this problem. 

I can't believe that this comment is being auto-saved, while my 30 minutes of rubric comments disappeared because of an accident!!

I do not understand why this isn't a higher priority for Canvas, given how many of us are experiencing this over and over again. I guess I'm going to have to train myself to write my comments in Word or something and then paste them into the rubric, but this is an extremely clunky solution for a problem that Canvas's competitors solved long ago.

ellisonl15
Community Participant

Chiming in -- this is important and much needed

kyh802
Community Explorer

Coming back to comment again, because it happened again twice. 

And the comments I'm writing here are being autosaved, as @holifiel pointed out. This is ridiculous.