Auto Save Rubrics or Give Save Warning

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Several times, when grading with a rubric, I find that I have navigated away from the rubric without saving the marks. Is it possible to add a warning that the rubric markings have not been saved when I attempt to navigate away? I believe that sometimes this happens because I added comments at the bottom of the grading page, and only hit that "Submit" button, but not the Save button for the rubric. Perhaps that Submit button could take care of both the rubric and the comments? 

86 Comments
mfr1
Community Member

Came here about this exact issue. It is such a fundamental problem. And it's particularly annoying because it's different from how Speedgrader handles annotations (saves them automatically) or submission comments (auto-saves until you submit).

MichaelDufresne
Community Member

If I complete a rubric and add comments below and then use the right arrow at the top to navigate to the next student, I DO receive a green alert that the comment was saved as a draft. This does not apply to rubrics. By contrast, if just a score is entered without a rubric, the page is updated and the score is automatically saved with the next click or keystroke. While I would prefer to have the page update and deliver the score only after I complete comments or otherwise indicate that I'm finished with the whole Speedgrader page, the save/submit option for scores, rubrics and comments should be simpler.

Both completed rubrics and comments should be automatically submitted and saved on navigating away from a page without the need for multiple save and submit clicks. In reviewing multiple professors' course shells yesterday, I came across a significant percentage of comments autosaved as drafts, which if not corrected, wastes instructor time and reduces actionable feedback students need. Unless a professor returns to the page later and sees the unsubmitted comment, it will sit there unsent.

To allow instructors to write an initial comment or evaluation without sending it to students, there should be an optional "Save comment/rubric as draft" button, but if that button isn't clicked, the default should be to save on navigating from the page.

If that is not possible, make the "comment saved as a draft" warning RED, not green, a subtle but significant trigger for action. Add the same red popup warning for rubrics.

rosejo
Community Member

I have now lost countless hours on the rubrics over the past few years because of the lack of autosave feature. The fact that the 'pages' autosave shows that the coding already exists, so it's a shame that Canvas is too [insert your desired adjective here] to implement in the rubrics as well. I have emailed Canvas about this multiple times and they give the usual, "You must be doing it wrong," speech. In the email today, they said that my system must have timed out and that I should have received a warning box. I did not receive the box. Also, I clicked on the "View Rubric" button and it opened. Why in the world would the logged out system allow you to open the rubric if it were logged out? Because it had opened, I proceeded to type extensive feedback notes, only to receive the "you are not logged in" message once I clicked "Save".

When I contacted Canvas about this last year, they said that if I am going to spend a lot of time on grading with the rubric, I should periodically click "Save" manually. However, this posts the incomplete grade and feedback thus far so that students will see an inaccurate and low grade. Nursing students tend to be intense about grades, so this causes unnecessary confusion and stress.

This should be addressed immediately. Heck, even these comments autosave.

a1063023
Community Explorer

Agreed with all the comments. From one of our academics last week:

I spent so much time to remark them this morning, and somehow they were not saved in MyUni. Is there any way to retrieve those markings, comments and annotations? Otherwise I have to do them again later this afternoon…”

Canvas is costing us all $100,000s in lost time, cumulatively. Infuriating. 

BobbyGange
Community Member

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!

ultimate sufferingultimate suffering

HosseinTavana
Community Member

If after we enter a grade using rubric, we navigate to the next student, all our grading disappears. The system should have an autosave feature or warn that our work was not saved before navigating to the next page.

This happens over and over and it is cause of major frustration because we have to redo the whole grading if we forget to save the grades.

JoannaFurno
Community Member

Lost an hour of work today because the same thing happened to me twice. The first time, I clicked on something I didn't realize would reload the page. The second time, I didn't realize that my login had timed out, and logging in again reloaded the page and lost all my work.

This issue shouldn't be considered a feature request. It should be considered a bug report and dealt with immediately.

JoannaFurno
Community Member

If you lost 20 of the grades in my gradebook, would you consider it a feature request when I ask for that to not happen? That's essentially what happens when I lose the feedback I put into a rubric.

kyh802
Community Explorer

@JoannaFurno 

Yes! This. What you said. 

What do we have to do to make this happen?!?

kyh802
Community Explorer

@Stef_retired I'd love an answer to @JoannaFurno 's comment that this is a bug, not a feature request. If it's not a bug, it's certainly rotten design.