Auto Save in Rich Content Editor

This is badly needed. We have had several people lost content they were writing in discussion posts and it would be useful when creating pages as well. Even here in the community Jive has this feature and I love it. Canvas needs it too!!

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through Canvas Release Notes (2020-03-21) 

58 Comments
amber_hainline
Community Participant

We would benefit from this! We have several teachers who have requested this feature. Smiley Happy

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Deactivated user, any update on this? Thanks!!

marylemons
Community Explorer

Autosave is a very needed addition to the rich text editor.  Students who are unable to complete their assignments in one sitting are very frustrated when they have to redo work. 

adamjinkens
Community Novice

Autosave is a very needed addition to the rich text editor.  Students who are unable to complete their assignments in one sitting are very frustrated when they have to redo work. Students who have home work need the ability to save a draft of work so that it's there when they get home from school.  As an advocate for Canvas, please add a button "Save" or "Save Draft". Thank you

csalazar
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

There is a team that will be doing work on the Rich Content Editor (RCE) early next year, and adding auto-save functionality will be part of that project. This will likely be complete in Q1 (or maybe Q2) of next year.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

That is awesome!! Thanks for the update!!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This is great news, Deactivated user​! Not even two minutes ago, I used the "Recover/Delete" functionality in Jive posts to retrieve a long reply I had almost finished composing and that Jive had kindly autosaved for me; being able to do that in Canvas as well would be nothing short of awesome.

john_doyle
Community Novice

Hello Canvas world,

I just want to promote the speedy implementation of this idea. I wrote a similar idea yesterday, but I am glad to not be alone. The plug for my idea which I dedicate to Susan for her original idea is as follows:

Have you ever been working on a post or a reply for a long time only to find that it disappeared? Perhaps, you tried to post it and read 'saving, saving, saving...'  but nothing saved? Cry, complain, rant and rave all you like, but your hard work is sill lost forever! Now, let's ask ourselves need that be so? It is time for a change! I propose that Canvas automatically saves your unfinished work on or offline every ten minutes. Then Canvas support agents will have the joy of offering you back some good news for a change! Wouldn't a resurrection of data benefit everyone? All you have to do is vote for it.

isaac_piercy
Community Explorer

This will be an amazing addition! Almost all of our instructional designers have reported loss of content at some point due to lack of auto-save. A common one is hitting the delete key while in the wrong area of a quiz which then initiates a key-board short-cut back button in their browser. Looking forward to this one!

hglasser
Community Explorer

stefaniesanders​ Deactivated user​  @Renee_Carney ​ Any update on this feature? I see that it's in the "In Development" phase and previous posts mentioned that this feature might be completed in Q1 or maybe Q2 of 2016. I'm wondering if there's additional information about a timeframe or other details about this feature. Thanks!