Auto Save in Rich Content Editor

This is badly needed. We have had several people lost content they were writing in discussion posts and it would be useful when creating pages as well. Even here in the community Jive has this feature and I love it. Canvas needs it too!!

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through Canvas Release Notes (2020-03-21) 

58 Comments
ross_browning
Community Novice

Any update on this feature?

ryan_corris
Community Contributor

That is a great idea.  However, it would be nice not to have to do the extra steps.

ryan_corris
Community Contributor

A previous post stated that the hope was to have this implemented in 2016.  Is this something that is still being worked on? Thanks!

crosby1
Community Novice

Any update on this feature?  @flores_cosme96 ‌? This is desperately needed. It's the #1 most frequent complaint at our installation.

benjaminw_dusek
Community Novice

As a teacher who uses canvas religiously, I would love to see an auto save in the rich content editor, as a teacher sometimes when you are working towards completing something with the rich text editor you get distracted and may even close out the window in which your working in. An auto save function in rich content editor would help me become a more productive teacher, in the event of a mishap. I look forward to seeing this function added to the wonderful rich content editor already!

gibbonsd
Community Participant

As an administrator, we are always getting students asking to help locate their lost Discussion Board.   Example, I had a student contact us where he was working on a discussion board in Canvas.  His computer went to sleep and everything he had worked on disappeared. It did not save what he had worked on. He was still signed into Canvas when his computer came back up. 

The auto-save for discussion board's Rich Content Editor would have come in handy for this student.  This is not the first student who has typed away and not save a copy elsewhere that an expected event causes him/her to lose their type discussions.

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

November 2017

Features for the Rich Content Editor have been reprioritized and this feature is not currently in development. We'll make an update when more information is available.

snugent
Community Champion

Thank you erinhallmark‌ for posting an update. I am disappointed that this not in development yet. It is desperately needed.  In the meantime I will be encouraging students to use GoogleDocs to compose discussion posts. 

Tips for Students Writing Discussion Posts 

stewarmc
Community Member

I have done this an embarrassing number of times for creating an assignment for students. There's so much going on while i plan the course, so many things to coordinate. I go check something in some other tab/window/monitor and end up on some other blocking task, finally come back to continue assignment, computer decided I was done with long ago...

stewarmc
Community Member

loving that this comment was autosaved before i posted it!