cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Save in Rich Content Editor

Auto Save in Rich Content Editor

This is badly needed. We have had several people lost content they were writing in discussion posts and it would be useful when creating pages as well. Even here in the community Jive has this feature and I love it. Canvas needs it too!!

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through Canvas Release Notes (2020-03-21) 

55 Comments
christine_mckeo
Community Participant

In addition to an auto-save feature, it would also be helpful if Canvas warned you before navigating away from unsaved content. Chrome, Safari and Firefox display a confirmation dialog when you try to leave a screen with unsaved content, but only when editing Pages. It's too easy to navigate away from unsaved content when editing the Syllabus Description, Assignments, Quizzes, etc...

clong
Community Champion

I'm sure every teacher that uses Canvas has had the unfortunate experience of adding some thoughtful comments or content only to have it unexpectedly blown away. Even worse is when this happens to our students. If Canvas is a cloud native LMS it have cloud like utility features like auto save. So many times I'll suggest teachers or students startup a Google Doc or Word Doc then paste it in just to make sure they don't loose their work. Canvas should be better in this aspect.

johnpj
Community Contributor

This feature would be most useful for us in the assignments tool; as we often get comments from students that have spent hours working on an assignment only to realize their session has timed out and they have lost their work.

dlyons
Instructure
Instructure

I don't know how difficult autosave functionality everywhere would be to implement, but I like this suggestion, too. I went ahead and turned it into it's own feature idea so it can be voted on independently. 🙂

christine_mckeo
Community Participant

Thanks  @dlyons ​!! Great idea -- I voted on it there.

corey_jeffers
Community Participant

Google is setting the tone here again because many districts and universities are going GAFE. People aren't used to saving their work anymore... I am noticing that there is an auto-save feature at the bottom of this rich text editor I'm typing in right now. I think the LMS deserves the same attention as the community.

caryn
Community Participant

This would be very useful throughout a Canvas course - this type of auto-save could help instructors and students retain in-progress work in virtually all parts of a Canvas course space. This is a medium priority for the UC Irvine community.

csalazar
Instructure
Instructure

After some preliminary research, it looks like the recent upgrade in TinyMCE has a plugin that will support auto save functionality. I asked the developer who did the most recent upgrade to take a look at the plugin to help us estimate the effort required to implement it. I will update the forum when I have an update.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This is excellent news Deactivated user​.  Thank you for the update!

corey_jeffers
Community Participant

Awesome! After the Google delay, this will be an excellent consolation. This will really help people to feel more secure with putting more content in Canvas more often.

amber_hainline
Community Participant

We would benefit from this! We have several teachers who have requested this feature. Smiley Happy

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Deactivated user, any update on this? Thanks!!

marylemons
Community Member

Autosave is a very needed addition to the rich text editor.  Students who are unable to complete their assignments in one sitting are very frustrated when they have to redo work. 

adamjinkens
Community Member

Autosave is a very needed addition to the rich text editor.  Students who are unable to complete their assignments in one sitting are very frustrated when they have to redo work. Students who have home work need the ability to save a draft of work so that it's there when they get home from school.  As an advocate for Canvas, please add a button "Save" or "Save Draft". Thank you

csalazar
Instructure
Instructure

There is a team that will be doing work on the Rich Content Editor (RCE) early next year, and adding auto-save functionality will be part of that project. This will likely be complete in Q1 (or maybe Q2) of next year.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

That is awesome!! Thanks for the update!!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

This is great news, Deactivated user​! Not even two minutes ago, I used the "Recover/Delete" functionality in Jive posts to retrieve a long reply I had almost finished composing and that Jive had kindly autosaved for me; being able to do that in Canvas as well would be nothing short of awesome.

john_doyle
Community Participant

Hello Canvas world,

I just want to promote the speedy implementation of this idea. I wrote a similar idea yesterday, but I am glad to not be alone. The plug for my idea which I dedicate to Susan for her original idea is as follows:

Have you ever been working on a post or a reply for a long time only to find that it disappeared? Perhaps, you tried to post it and read 'saving, saving, saving...'  but nothing saved? Cry, complain, rant and rave all you like, but your hard work is sill lost forever! Now, let's ask ourselves need that be so? It is time for a change! I propose that Canvas automatically saves your unfinished work on or offline every ten minutes. Then Canvas support agents will have the joy of offering you back some good news for a change! Wouldn't a resurrection of data benefit everyone? All you have to do is vote for it.

isaac_piercy
Community Participant

This will be an amazing addition! Almost all of our instructional designers have reported loss of content at some point due to lack of auto-save. A common one is hitting the delete key while in the wrong area of a quiz which then initiates a key-board short-cut back button in their browser. Looking forward to this one!

hglasser
Community Member

stefaniesanders​ Deactivated user​  @Renee_Carney ​ Any update on this feature? I see that it's in the "In Development" phase and previous posts mentioned that this feature might be completed in Q1 or maybe Q2 of 2016. I'm wondering if there's additional information about a timeframe or other details about this feature. Thanks!

About Idea Conversations
In the Canvas Community Ideas space, you can share, converse, and rate idea conversations related to software improvements to Canvas products.