[Notifications] Automatic due date reminder notifications

Please add a notification option (preferably turned on by default) that sends a reminder notification 24 hours before a quiz or an assignment is due, to any student who has not already submitted it.  Currently it is only possible to send these reminders manually.   If there were automatic due date reminders, it would significantly improve my quiz completion rates.

Added to Theme

77 Comments
jddenning
Community Member

UPVOTE for this feature.

As a professor of graduate students, I would agree with others requesting the option of customization by the student. Graduate students should be able to manage their own schedules and how they are notified of their assignments and not having that flexibility could diminish the value of the feature (as in, they would not use it because it didn't meet their needs).

TSikorski
Community Member

The lack of an automatic reminder is is a BIG issue for my students.  GoogleClassroom and other platforms have this feature but why not Canvas?

A little disappointing that this request for a feature has been open since 2018 and it still has not yet been implemented given the impact it would have on student success.

gkb063
Community Explorer

Any news on why such a poplular suggestion isn't on Canvas roadmap yet? Other LMS systems have reminder features similar to what is being suggested here.

If it hasn't been asked for yet, I would add to the list of use case scenarios that this feature should have an "overdue" reminder as well. Since Grad Students relationship with their instructor and program is different than k-12 and Undergraduate. They can go over their due date but the system should be reminding them when they do so (if the teacher or student turn the feature on)

rnb024
Community Explorer

Make it happen! It would be great for both students and instructors to have the flexibility to decide whether or not these reminders occur for certain courses and tasks. The default should be "yes".

HaleyDawkins
Community Member

I love this idea!!! I have a lot of assignments that I set to be due at 11:59 PM so I would like to be able to set the time for my students to receive a reminder if there is no submission. And to be able to select the assignment this applies to. Maybe in the Create/Edit assignment section. 

RyanDridi
Community Novice

add  feature where u can allow mobile push notifications for assignments that are posted

MellieSal
Community Member

Be great if there could be time options pre programmed reminders like in outlook recurring ie 1 day before, 1 week after, 2 weeks after etc.  Having to set reminders manually is not an efficient process when you have numerous units / courses.

LeisaRobson
Community Explorer

Yes please! If Canvas could implement an automated system reminder regarding assessment submissions and quiz completions coming due would also save me so much time!

Also an option to choose the time frame of when to send the reminder (like you can in Announcements) would be beneficial too 🙂

EllenVW
Community Member

Agree with all of the previous comments - removing manual processes removes errors.

Automated reminders would certainly be beneficial to our team - set and forget.

bontomasin
Community Explorer

This would be so helpful. We have so many students who are used to hearing/seeing reminders and they do not look at their task list, as they should. The older students are struggling but the younger kids really need reminders. This would also be seen by parent observers and be quite helpful. When I used Google Classroom, the class calendar sent them reminders. It was great!