[Notifications] Automatic due date reminder notifications

Please add a notification option (preferably turned on by default) that sends a reminder notification 24 hours before a quiz or an assignment is due, to any student who has not already submitted it.  Currently it is only possible to send these reminders manually.   If there were automatic due date reminders, it would significantly improve my quiz completion rates.

Added to Theme

77 Comments
BethanyButcher
Community Member

It would be a benefit to have the ability to turn on a notification for assignments that have not been submitted and the due date has past. This would be helpful for both the student who is managing many courses as the observer who is trying to support the student to complete work and learn time management skills.

The teacher can notify the student, but we really want to empower the student. 

lisarhughes
Community Member

This is an essential tool to take advantage of mobile options for learning. Students are familiar with and even dependent on push notifications for all kinds of digital experiences; thus, it makes sense to include the option for due date notifications to make Canvas more meaningful to them.

jeskinne
Community Novice

Yes!  I would love to have this feature.

bontomasin
Community Explorer

Yes, Please

JamesSinger
Community Member

It would be great to have an option to send an automatic email to students if there's an important assignment coming up and you want to remind them of it, it could be a kind of scheduled email, and it would be in the assignment edit screen. Kind of like with the due dates at the bottom. Then it could default to two weeks before as a reminder or with customizable text.

The other is to send an email to students who have missed x number of assignments past the due date. I could set it to, let's say, "3" and once three assignments not turned in past the due date, an automatic email would tell them they're missing assignments or it could be customizable text. So I could write something like, "Hello [student], I've noticed you've missed the past [number of] assignments. I will still accept them late. What can I do to help you get those in?" 

A copy of all of these could be found in the inbox "sent" folder.

EllenVW
Community Member

Agree - automatic notifications would be a great benefit - can then set and forget and have a level of comfort that reminders will be sent

LucyKassabian
Community Novice

As one of many college students who have slipped on an assignment or two, a quiz or two, maybe even tests… 

It would be astronomically useful and life changing if canvas gave us push notifications on upcoming assignments that are due along with the options on how many days prior.

example

• Set a reminder (1,2,3) days before this assignment is due with (so and so) alert sounds and/or repeat alert option.

I think all of us students will heavily appreciate canvas for embedding this into their application in a new update by automatically popping up the option to have such notifications on or not. 

Thank you 🙂 

akhuebel
Community Participant

I was just hearing about something called Intelligent Agents that works with another (possibly more than one?) LMS.  It sounds exactly like what we need--the ability to set up reminders and alerts that are tailored to our class needs.

DrakeWoods
Community Member

Allow these reminders to send push notifications. 

Allow a time/date to be set.

Allow the ability to select from a list what assignment(s) you want to be reminded about.

Allow a field for adding a custom description of the assignment to be reminded of.

Allow an option for making the reminder to go off once, persistently, or repeat through days of the week

Allow for a toggle option to enable/disable the reminder to show on the calender based on the time/date set for the reminder

This could possible help to cut down on late assignments

terence_gonsalv
Community Member

In this technical era, I don't understand the concept of "Voting" just add this as the feature understanding the ease it brings about.  Anyway, I would want to vote for this feature.

How many votes do you consider to activate this?