[Notifications] Automatic due date reminder notifications

Please add a notification option (preferably turned on by default) that sends a reminder notification 24 hours before a quiz or an assignment is due, to any student who has not already submitted it.  Currently it is only possible to send these reminders manually.   If there were automatic due date reminders, it would significantly improve my quiz completion rates.

Added to Theme

77 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@terence_gonsalv  Idea Conversations incorporate a star rating system. User comments are highly valued by our product developers, and we encourage those in favor of an idea to provide examples from their own experience that support the problem statement posed by the idea. To learn more about the process, please read through How do idea conversations work in the Canvas Community? 

TobyCampbell1
Community Member

As a student it's hard to keep up sometimes with the assignments that I have. Not only that but it's just hard to remember what I do have to do. If there was a way to turn on notifications on the mobile version (or even desktop version) for assignments on their due dates that would help me a lot. It would help me understand the assignments that I need to work on so I can keep up with me class. There are a lot of settings to turn on notifications for assignment due date changes but that's different from what I mean, I mean being notified which assignments still need to be done for the day they are due.

LowellBieber
Partner
Partner

Hi all! Just wanted to drop a note that here at Boost Education we've created an app/plugin that integrates seamlessly with Canvas to automatically send these notifications that you're looking for. We're a part of Canvas's Ed Tech collective and worked closely with them to develop this tool. You can view our listing on the Partners Page right here.

We recognized the very same problem that you all are bringing to light here; students want to turn in assignments but sometimes just like all of us, they just forget. And you all as teachers & faculty have so many better things you could be doing with your time than reminding students of their assignments. In fact, our peer-reviewed and published research shows that our assignment reminders that use our smart-parameters are actually more effective than instructor-initiated nudges. 

Would be happy to answer any questions you all have on the problem or our solution we developed at Boost! Tagging a few of the main contributors for visibility. @srbrassfield @Boekenoogen @leneem_lassiter @kimberly_smith1 @rosenbet 

Arilwelaho
Community Novice
  • ADD THE ABILITY TO ADD (POP UP) REMINDERS FOR ASSIGNGMENTS THAT ARE DUE
ProfJT
Community Member

Yes, please!  This would be a real help for some of my students.  Students need extra reminders and to create individual announcements takes so much work...  Also, another option would be to allow students to set a reminder about assignments for themselves.  

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@ProfJT  Students can create their own to-do list items to serve as their own personal reminders, so please guide your students to the instructions at  How do I add a to-do item in the Calendar as a stu...  

TammS
Community Member

Having a way to schedule automatic emails to those students who have not submitted an upcoming assignment. It would be helpful once this is put into place to pick how many hours in advance you would like to have an email reminder sent to those students who have not submitted an upcoming assignment. 

Elongo
Community Novice

Get email or text alerts when new assignments are posted and/or when due dates are approaching.

dspiel
Community Participant

Sad that all these great suggestions for notifications that either teacher or students could set up as a reminder are still sitting out here as just a thought.  This would be a HUGE help for both.

pactel
Community Member

This is a way to remind students to complete an assignment that has a HOT due date (meaning it is within 24 hours) A dragon can pop up breathing fire with the hot due date for the student to complete. The dragon can be sent at the discretion of the teacher to help motivate students to complete an assignment in a timely manner within 24 hours.