[Notifications] Automatic due date reminder notifications

Please add a notification option (preferably turned on by default) that sends a reminder notification 24 hours before a quiz or an assignment is due, to any student who has not already submitted it.  Currently it is only possible to send these reminders manually.   If there were automatic due date reminders, it would significantly improve my quiz completion rates.

Added to Theme

77 Comments
smille15
Community Member

This definitely needs to be a feature they bring into the LMS.

DeannaAverett
Community Member

Our students are begging for this option to remind them when assignments are due.

JolandaSallmann
Community Member

Looks like this still in the works? I do use the "notify students who" feature, but being able to set up an automatic message that a due date is approaching, or alternatively having an automatic message go out saying a deadline was missed, would be very helpful for faculty!!

LParker21
Community Explorer

I agree that this Canvas feature would be helpful for students who rely on their "To Do" lists instead of reading their syllabus to plan for assignments/ exams. Ideally, there would also be a feature where long-term assignments could also be set to remind students at an interval ahead of the final due date. For example, a final paper at the end of the semester could be programmed to give students reminders at 2-week intervals until the due date. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

angelenalloyd03
Community Member
Problem statement:

The assignment's due date is approaching.

Proposed solution:

The ability to automatically have a preset date and time to send a friendly reminder to students would nurture a bond, especially in an online class with the student and teacher. It will also open a dialog for discussion. It shows the teacher genuinely cares and reminds them of the date of an approaching assignment. I know there is a to-do list, but students sometimes don't pay attention, and it's not personalized. I know the missing assignments messaging in the grade book, but that is time-consuming. My suggestion would automatically send a personalized message by the selected due date to any student that has not completed the assignment by the date I select. Thank you. Angela

User role(s):

ta