Automatic zero in gradebook after a date

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I would like to throw this out there...

What if an assignment could automatically be scored as a zero if not completed by a specified date? This would be a huge time saver for everyone:

Student: this would allow their grade to accurately reflect true grade (if teacher is behind)- will encourage/motivate, etc.

Teacher: huge time saver! Helpful for schools/teachers with students who self pace

Academic Adviser: view true and accurate grade for reporting

Currently, a teacher can default an assignment grade (for all or some students) to a zero. But what if on the same prompt (window) it asks for a date. When the date passes, a zero in placed in the grade. This gives the teacher control of when it happens and it's easy to find.

Just an idea.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13886 .

74 Comments
cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

janna_ellis
Community Novice

Yes I want it!!! I've also been asking for this.

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

janna_ellis
Community Novice

Yes I want this!!! I've also been asking for this.

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

u0631869
Community Member

I completely agree. Also, it would allow students to look at quizzes/assignments as they prepare for other work in class. Right now we have to close the quiz/assignment if we don't want to have to constantly monitor for late assignments and mark them as zeroes if late work is not accepted for a particular category (e.g. Quizzes). Also, when auto-graded quizzes are late, students think they have received credit that I then have to go in and take away to fit my grading policy on that assignment. Not really nice.

bl
Community Novice

I really like the "treat ungraded as zero" option in the total column of the gradebook. Is there any consideration for making that an option after selecting "View Grades" selection from the dashboard? This would be extremely helpful for observers and parents who would be interested in the average for all graded assignments at a given point in time. Would it also be possible to make it the default option for an entire account, everywhere totals are displayed? Are either of these being considered? Is there a better place to post this request or would it make sense for me to start a new idea related to it?

texner
Community Novice

With anything past the due date it is crucial that a student who didn't complete an assignment have their assignment be treated as zero rather than ungraded.  I have had to manually seek out those students scores and insert zeros along the way.  Students grades that they view are overinflated as for any work not attempted it is not accounted for in their total score.  In my mind this is a technical flaw and not a nice to have.  Instructors also have to perform a lot of manual work to make sure the students scores that are visible are in fact the correct scores. 

aldriche
Community Novice

Any movement on this suggestion?  I am an instructor of over 400 students with 30 columns in my Canvas gradebook.

An "auto-fill zero" option or a way to have Canvas give zeros to students who haven't completed an assignment by the due date (or end date) would be incredibly helpful. 

schutt_j
Community Novice

Eric,

The folks who own the program laud themselves as being highly sensitive to customer feedback. Yet the opposite is the case in reality. Features that should have been in the program from its inception have not been. It is not a well thought out program. And changes are glacially slow if there are even made. I wanted to add a quiz that we given for extra credit and would not add points to the course total. It's easy enough to do. Yet it can't be done. There was a workaround available, but they killed it. I would not hold my breath at seeing any change from them in the next decade. I wish that I could say otherwise, but that has been my experience. John

Jeff_F
Community Champion

I recall a screen capture of the latter idea: an autofill of a zero if not complete by the due date.  That was from the Kill all the Clicks presentation.   Gradebook Futures: Kill All the Clicks!

Jeff_F
Community Champion

schutt.j​ - sorry you have had a bad experience.  I am curious what ideas you have submitted or contributed to that haven't yet been implemented.  I ask as I've received a fair amount of feedback from the site admins that my (and the collective 'our') ideas and suggestions are referenced  and have in fact contributed to the evolution of the product.   For thought - perhaps other work is a priority or maybe your idea just doesn't currently provide sufficient return on the investment?  I am not prodding here, just a consideration.

If you hadn't seen it, below is a link to an announcement about the idea process which is about to be overhauled.  Therein you can offer your insights as well as constructive feedback via a survey.  Everyone likes to be heard and I suggest posting a survey response to ensure your ideas are effectively communicated.

Changes Coming to Canvas Community Feature Ideas